Five Ways to Impress At Your University Job Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

In a land of layoffs and downsizing, a job fair can be manna from heaven to the average unemployed college student. However, the idea that blue jeans and a hoodie is appropriate attire for everything (Is this funeral appropriate? …Sure!) can sabotage employment chances. These sorts of problems are pervasive for college students. It’s clear that some students need a guiding hand to help them put their best feet forward at a job fair. Her Campus is here to help! Here are five tips and tricks for those on their way to the top.

1.) Hygiene

Before you arrive at the job fair, take the time to groom yourself. Arriving there directly after running across campus will leave you smelling of sweat and homework-induced despair. This aroma won’t do you any favors when it comes to impressing potential bosses. At least chew a stick of gum and rub on some deodorant to insure you don’t offend the senses.

2.) Research the Companies

Before arriving at the job fair, do some research to discover what businesses will be arriving, what they sell, and what positions they have available. A little backstory will make you seem knowledgeable, competent and desirable, and will definitely get you some attention at the tables.

3.) Dress Professionally

A job fair may seem like a casual free-for-all, but in fact it’s more serious than that. Make sure to dress to impress and wear “business casual” attire: not necessarily a black suit, but definitely not a t-shirt. A professional demeanor and presentation will set you apart from the guy in slouchy jeans.

4.) Be Prepared

If you arrive at a job fair without your résumé in hand you may as well turn around and go home; you have already crashed and burned. Bring several copies of your most up-to-date resume. (Extra points if you have business cards and a nice portfolio!)

5.) Confidence

Don’t be afraid! You are a smart, capable person and you absolutely can do this. Armed with fresh breath, your resume, and nice slacks, you will impress potential employers and stand out head and shoulders above the other contenders.

Universities hold job fairs for a reason: they work! If you’re going to show up, show off. Take full advantage of the opportunities there, and you’re sure to a lot from the experience.

Brittany Elizabeth, better known as Lizzie, is a student aspiring to major in Advertising who is feeding her love of writing with a minor in English and a place in HerCampus Magazine. Lizzie enjoys cooking, video games, reading, and cartooning.