Five Cafeteria Hacks for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

You know it’s time to eat when your stomach is growling but you dread making that pivotal decision: where should I have breakfast/lunch/dinner?  Most Southern Miss students hit up The Agora, The Powerhouse, Seymours or some off campus location to satisfy their cravings.

What’s usually left out of that equation is USM’s cafeteria, The Fresh Food Company. Students typically don’t want to deal with the long lines, noisy atmosphere and less than fantastic food offered there. Even though it’s often hit or miss on any given day, some items can be combined to make delicious meals.

1. Chicken and hummus wrap

This semester, the Fresh has a new station offering up deli-style sandwiches and wraps. Grab one of those flour tortillas, smear on one of the three hummus options from the smart station and add some of the grilled chicken and veggies from the salad station.

2. Cheesy bacon potatoes

Looking for a creative way to spice up those oft-cold, oft-stale potatoes served at breakfast? Throw some cheddar cheese and bacon bits on top and nuke them in the microwave.

3. The Elvis

This is said to be one of Elvis Presley’s favorite foods. Combine two slices of toast, a couple smears of peanut butter, bacon and some banana slices to make this tasty treat. Or you can try it as an open-faced sandwich by substituting a bagel for the toast.

4. Poutine

This is a dish borrowed from our neighbors to the north and if you’ve ever had it, you’ll know it’s pretty tasty. Combine french fries with gravy and sprinkle some cheese on top and you’ve got a dish that while not quite the same, will give you an idea of a typical Canadian hangover cure.

5. Thai-style dipping sauce

If you’re feeling especially adventurous, and you’ve got your own personal bottle of Sriracha, combine it with peanut butter and soy sauce to make your own dipping sauce. Mix it with egg noodles and a few veggies, nuke in the microwave and you have your own personal stir fry. Enjoy!

monicia.warner

Southern Miss

Monicia is a senior news-editorial journalism major at Southern Miss. She is a member of the Transfer Leadership Board, Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association and National Association of Black Journalists. She is also a contributing writer for Uloop News. After college, she hopes to intern with a major newspaper and/or continue to grad school. Her interests include social media, period dramas and Ellie Goulding. SMTTT!