The Dish on King Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

King Cake. We all love it. We even crave it  when it’s seasonally appropriate to do so, but what is it? It’s not just milk, butter, active dry yeast and a whole lot of sugar. Plenty of things have all of that. Plenty of things are harder to make, too. Most recipes only require about forty-five minutes of prep time. Heck, it takes longer for it to cool than for an aspiring Cajun confectioner to cook one up. What is it that makes king cake such a crucial part of our Mardi Gras tradition?

The “King” of “king cake” refers to the three wise men that came to visit Christ when he was a little infant. In a lot of countries, King Cake is a Christmas food. We take our tradition, though, from “The Feast of the Epiphany”, which is sometimes celebrated in the French “Mardi-Gras” the day before lent starts. (Lent is a celebration of the forty days leading up to Easter.)

The baby that gets stuck in the cake sometimes is, pretty obviously, meant to be Christ. Before the plastic baby was used, uncooked beans or peas took its place. The custom of the person who pulls the surprise from the cake is that he/she is crowned “king” for the day and goes back to medieval France. However, the responsibility of the “king” today is  to furnish the next king cake; that is our local tradition. (In Mexico, the “king” has to make tamales! Yum.)

If you collegiettes want to get a little ambitious this Mardi Gras, a king cake might be the way to go! This online recipe has received rave reviews and can be found at this recipe site. Take a shot at it, and let us know in the comments how it turned out! Just be careful when you take a bite! You might be providing the next king cake!

Photo Credit:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruenemann/4291365765/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Megan Fink

Southern Miss

Megan is a Junior at the University of Southern Mississippi. She's majoring in News and Editorial Journalism and Political Science. Her favorite publication is the Wall Street Journal, and she hopes to work as a war correspondent for the Associated Press.
Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com