Denise Cumbie: Financial Aid Counselor Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Name: Denise Cumbie
Claim to Fame: Financial Aid Counselor Extraordinaire
Hometown: Beaumont, Mississippi

Denise Cumbie, a financial aid counselor at Southern Miss, is a go-to guru for all things financial aid. If you have called the Financial Aid office, or dropped in to ask a question, chances are you have already met the expert.  Financial Aid counselors help you find funds for college and provide a priceless service to students. Her job is one of the most important on campus, but the hard work she does should be recognized and appreciated more.

Where did you go to College? And how long have you worked here at Southern Miss as a financial aid officer?

I graduated from Southern Miss  with a degree in Office Administration. I have worked here for  almost 20 years. I started as a student worker and moved to a full time position. I have worked under four Financial Aid Directors. I have seen many changes in the time I have worked here.

What does being a financial aid counselor involve?

Some of my many duties involve helping students with questions and concerns about financial aid and loans at the help desk and over the phone.

What is something adventurous that you enjoy, that maybe other people don’t know about you?

I love going with my husband and sons, Zack and Colton, to the dirt track. My husband drives on the dirt track and we go see him. It’s something we enjoy as a family.

What is your favorite part of being a financial aid counselor?

I like working with students from different backgrounds and areas. Meeting people is a fun part of what I do.

What drives you to help others find the means to stay in college?

The reason I am driven to help students is because I would want someone to do the same for my child. I try to look out for students. In the end, that’s what it’s really all about. 

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com