Collegiette Opinions: When Dressing Too Comfortable Goes Too Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

We are all guilty of this deed. You get in from a late night at your friend’s apartment, writing that 12-page paper in the library until 2 a.m., closing at work or partying a little too hard on a weeknight. In a sleepy and/or drunken stupor, you crash, only to wake up three hours later with 20 minutes to get to class. Looks like another excuse for a “bum-it” day! Or is it?

Aside from these kinds of situations causing girls to throw physical presentation out the window, the “dressing comfortable” trend has seemed to become widely adopted amongst college women on a regular basis. It has almost become a fashion statement in itself, set predominantly by sorority girls, to wear the oversized sweatshirt, the baseball cap, the black leggings, and the tennis shoes to class every single day. This trend has most likely been deemed acceptable due to the reassurance of having one’s sorority letters plastered on every article of clothing mentioned above. There is nothing wrong with representing the organization you’re proud of, but ladies, it is not okay to use a label to hide behind as an excuse for your laziness.

As harsh as that sounds, it is a known fact that physical appearance goes a long way with how others view and treat you. Think of college as an “adult atmosphere.” People are here to have a memorable experience and enjoy their time in college, but ultimately, it is a transition from teenager to adult. It will benefit you to act as such on a daily basis in the presence of your professors, faculty, employers and your peers. This includes the way you dress.

Dressing like a bum for class on campus five days a week will prevent you from being taken seriously and give off the impression that you really don’t care about what your classes are attempting to teach you. Maintaining a positive energy and impression amongst the people you come in contact with on a daily basis will only benefit you that much more in the future when you are making connections.

Now, this doesn’t necessarily require that you put on professional business attire and heels every day. It simply means that putting a little effort into your appearance couldn’t hurt. Not to mention, it will help you to be more productive. When you try to take on the day in your loungewear, you are more likely to want to slump into a chair in Starbucks in between classes, slurping a Frappuccino while you waste time “liking” statuses on Facebook. Putting on an actual outfit will make you feel better about yourself in general, more confident and more willing to be in “day mode” instead of “bum mode”.

So, if you want to represent your beloved organization well, be more easily respected, gain confidence and score a date then resist the urge to settle for the unflattering potato sack. Instead, reach for a pair of comfortable jeans, a casual top that flatters your figure, along with a vest or blazer, and some flats. Tame your hair and put on a little makeup, for heaven’s sake! Tack on a simple accessory (headband, scarf, belt, whatever). It won’t kill you to try.

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com