Collegiette Opinions – Leggings: Are They Pants or Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

It’s an age-old debate that has divided friends, sorority houses, dorm rooms alike. Well, not really. But I always catch myself arguing with someone about this every topic. So, here I am to settle the question. Are leggings really pants?

My answer is yes, to an extent. See, by definition, they aren’t, but based on how one uses them determines whether or not leggings are an appropriate bottom. I have seen leggings worn all types of ways, and unfortunately what I’ve seen doesn’t help me with my argument of wearing leggings as pants. Collegiettes, let me present to you, the wrong way to wear leggings:

Now, I could go into a 20-minute rant about every single thing that is wrong with the attire in these photos, but I’ll cut some slack. After all, people in Hollywood believe they can get away with wearing anything (and I mean anything) which leads collegiettes to believe it is somewhat okay. Knock, knock! It’s reality sweetie, and it is definitely not okay.

Other “trends” I’ve seen sometimes make me question why leggings are open to any and everyone buying them. The sight of leggings under a dress makes me cringe. Invest in some pantyhose! That’s what they are for! And speaking about pantyhose, it is NEVER okay to wear pantyhose like pants. Don’t use the “I have a big shirt over it” excuse, because you are basically walking around in underwear. And lastly, maybe no one has told girls this, and I might upset some people, but it needs to be heard: DRESS FOR YOUR SIZE. Now what do I mean by that? Basically, if your leggings are so tight that I can see the dents/creases in your legs, then you need to either a) get a bigger size or b) step out of that bubble of denial and put the leggings away. It is okay to be comfortable with your body, but people, let’s be realistic. Leggings are not for everyone!

On the other hand— and I’m definitely hopping on my soapbox for this one— if you’re anything like me and just want to be comfortable, wearing leggings is okay as long as your top is long enough to go past where the good Lord split you! You see, big t-shirts and leggings are 75% of my wardrobe. Seriously, I’m not kidding. Catch me on a normal day around campus, and my point will be proven. I’m literally on the run to and from classes, and frankly, I don’t have the energy to run around in heels five days a week. Now I’ll admit to being the Norts/leggings offender, simply because I don’t feel like it is that big of a deal. “What’s the point of wearing your Norts over leggings in the winter?” Well I’m not walking to the gym in the cold in just shorts. I’m not THAT bold.

It is always interesting when I stumble across articles that attack the leggings with t-shirt look, mainly because the articles sound more like attacks than fashion tips. In my opinion, an article isn’t going to make me reevaluate my closet and my wardrobe. I wear what I want because it makes me feel comfortable. If it doesn’t make you comfortable, then DON’T WEAR IT. Simple enough right? You would think. Whether or not you think leggings are pants is your personal opinion. However, please try to wear them correctly, and then, for the most part, it shouldn’t be a problem!

Photo Credit: StyleFrizz.com 

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com