This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

College is an exciting world filled with new opportunities and possibilities, if you know where to find them. Often, students plug in and tune out the world around them and miss out on events and activities that could shape their entire college experience.

Enter the collegiette bucket list: a semi-comprehensive guide of things collegiettes should be doing when they’re not cramming for exams, writing extensive research papers or Facebook stalking that cutie who’s a friend of a friend of a friend.

1. Join a student organization – But not just any student organization; join one that is completely different from what you’d normally participate in. Don’t be afraid to expose yourself to situations and people who can teach you about different cultures and lifestyles. Learning doesn’t end once you leave the classroom.

2. Rush a sorority – For some collegiettes, the college experience isn’t complete without rushing a sorority. Others claim the sorority lifestyle just isn’t for them and cite time constraints and money as the reasons why. That’s understandable. But the major upside to participating in rush week comes from the competitive atmosphere and also the friendships that you’ll make, even if you don’t get a bid.

3. Get your own place – Living on campus may seem like the easy option compared to finding a place, recruiting roommates and decorating your space. Consider this: living off campus at least one year in college gives you tools that can extend into your postgraduate life (i.e. managing money). Plus, it’s really neat to have your own space to unwind at the end of a long day or throw a huge party with friends.

4. Attend a sporting event – It’s suprising how many collegiettes shy away from attending sporting events. Stadiums and arenas filled with students, faculty and alumni are no joke; it’s the real deal. Being in the midst of a several thousand strong crowd chanting the school’s alma mater is an incredible experience. It’s also a great way to mix and mingle with people you wouldn’t encounter on a daily basis.

5. Study abroad – College is probably one of the only times in life that you can truly let loose, both with your life and your wallet. Even if you’ve already stretched yourself to the limit on financial aid and loan limits, save up to take an amazing trip abroad. You’ll be able to see the sights, take in the local culture and maybe even find an incredible pen pal.

6. Go on a blind date – It probably sounds daunting at first, but sometimes it’s nice to go on a date without expectations. Blind dates are also a good way to figure out what your wants and needs are before you start a relationship. Try datemycollege.com: a free and easy service that lets you see browse the singletons in your college or those nearby.

7. Volunteer – Be there for those in need. Nowadays, it doesn’t require much effort to start: just visit your school’s community service office. It’s a great feeling when you’ve put in time on a special project and helped give back to the community. Also, it looks great on a postgraduate resume.

8. Take a trip – That’s right. Grab a few girlfriends (or guy friends) and take a trip to somewhere you’ve never been before. Whether your destination is the beach, the mountains or the big city, just be sure to relax and take it all in.

9. Start a blog – There’s really no better way to document the college experience in the digital age than to create a blog. It serves as a scrapbook and instant way to record memorable or pivotal moments during your college years. Now, it’s probably not the best idea to post a bunch of party pictures, but be sure to leave something classy to look back on as you get older.

10. Stop obsessing over the small things – It’s not unusual to worry about things like your weight, your look or what that guy you like really thinks of you. But by the time senior year rolls around and you only have a few months left, it really won’t matter. Instead, focus on the now: landing a summer internship, building a solid network of references and maintaining those friendships that are sure to last a lifetime.

monicia.warner

Southern Miss

Monicia is a senior news-editorial journalism major at Southern Miss. She is a member of the Transfer Leadership Board, Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association and National Association of Black Journalists. She is also a contributing writer for Uloop News. After college, she hopes to intern with a major newspaper and/or continue to grad school. Her interests include social media, period dramas and Ellie Goulding. SMTTT!