Campus Cutie: Jennifer Diaz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Classification: Junior
Hometown: Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Major: Theatre
Relationship Status: In a Relationship

HC: When did you first know you wanted to be an actress?

Jennifer: Once I finally graduated from high school, I knew I wanted to try it out. Once you get to college, you have to make a real decision and know all the risks that come with it. Now I realize that just because you’re a theatre major doesn’t mean you have to stick with one area. I plan to dabble in all areas.

HC: Do you have any pre-show rituals?

Jennifer: I love to stretch, relax and breathe. I always listen to Disney songs loosen myself up and have fun. Also, when I’m putting on my makeup, I listen to Beyonce because she’s fierce and I wanna channel that into whatever role I’m doing. Single Ladies is number one on the playlist.

HC: What’s your dream role?

Jennifer: I would love to play Mimi from RENT

HC: Ever had an embarrassing moment during a performance?

Jennifer: When you get so caught up in the moment where you call a character by another name. I’ve also tripped in heels.

HC: Who would play you in a film about your life?

Jennifer: Hopefully me! But celebrity, America Ferrera.

HC: What’s the key to making a relationship work?

Jennifer: Communication. As cliché as it sounds, it’s definitely the key. They know you really well, so if they ask what’s wrong, just tell them. They’re in a relationship with you for a reason, so just talk it out or hug it out. 

HC: Favorite place on campus?

Jennifer: The trees near the Walker Science building. Me and my boyfriend chill there and eat lunch. I also love to read a book under there and do homework.

HC: Favorite place you’ve traveled?

Jennifer: Puerto Rico comes to mind. It’s my homeland, so it’ll always be my favorite place to go. We have a beach and a rainforest on the same island and you can’t beat that. It’s just the simple things in life there, like eating ice cream on a hot day or going ziplining thousands of feet in the air.

HC: Three words you would use to describe yourself?

Jennifer: funny, sarcastic, genuine

Jennifer will be a part of USM Theatre’s production of Eurydice, opening March 27 at Hartwig Theatre.

monicia.warner

Southern Miss

Monicia is a senior news-editorial journalism major at Southern Miss. She is a member of the Transfer Leadership Board, Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association and National Association of Black Journalists. She is also a contributing writer for Uloop News. After college, she hopes to intern with a major newspaper and/or continue to grad school. Her interests include social media, period dramas and Ellie Goulding. SMTTT!