Campus Cutie: Alexis Weathersby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Introducing our Campus Cutie for this week, Alexis Weathersby! She’s a sweet, loving country girl and I can promise you’ll love her as much as I do. Weathersby is an 18-year-old freshman majoring in elementary education. She’s from Collins, Miss., and is currently single.

Her Campus: Alexis, describe yourself in three words for us. 

Alexis Weathersby: I believe that I am caring, humble, and indecisive. 

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?  

AW: I usually try to hangout and enjoy the company of my friends, but now that I’m in college, most of my free time is devoted to sleep! 

HC: Where is your favorite place on campus? 

AW: I must say my favorite place on campus would have to be the new eagle. It’s my favorite place because, to me, it represents everything that we, as a community not just USM, but Hattiesburg, have gone through, yet we are still standing strong and will continue to soar. To me, the eagle is a sign of hope to all of us at USM to show that we can push through no matter what.

HC: What has been the most challenging part of your first semester of college?  

AW: The most challenging part has been dealing with time management: being able to have fun with my friends and hangout, but also dealing with studying and homework that I have to do. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I seem to overestimate that amount of time I have to do an assignment.

HC: Why did you choose elementary education as your major?   

AW: I choose elementary education because as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed helping others and there is no better way to help others than by becoming a teacher. I love little children and I love being surrounded by little kids because they always seem to find a way to be happy about whatever is going on in their lives. They also deal with less drama than older kids. I know that I couldn’t handle dealing with high school students.

HC: What are some things on your to-do list after graduating college?

AW: After college, even though it is quite a ways away, I hope to be able to go and get my masters as well as my administrative degree, and hopefully after that, find a job at a grade school. Along with this, I wish for what any girl wishes for at my age, a husband and  a family that is well taken care of. I hope to have at least three children, two boys and one girl. 

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

AW: If I could live anywhere in the world, I think I would choose upstate New York. Not very imaginative, I know, but there is something appealing to me about being in the countryside, away from the city, but being able to go when I want to. I am a country girl at my core and I couldn’t picture myself living anywhere else.

Abby Smith

Southern Miss

Abby Smith is a Freshman Broadcast Journalism major. She is a recent graduate of Sacred Heart High School and has spent her whole life in Hattiesburg, MS, but hopes to one day move to a big city and pursue a career in Journalism. Abby loves photography, traveling, running, and the outdoors.