Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Are You Too Old to be Living at Home?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

I live “at home.” When I first heard that phrase, I thought to myself, “Doesn’t everyone? Is that a joke?” It wasn’t until I moved out of the dorms last semester that I realized that “at home” is just a nicer way of saying “with my parents.”

So, here’s the question that my bank account and I can’t seem to agree on: does living with my parents make me a loser? Does it make you a loser? Here’s a quick self-quiz to help you decide.

How old are you?

1. 18
  2. 19
  3. 20-22
  4. 23+

If you answered “A” or “B”, you’re probably not a loser. You’re just young and (I hope) focused on school. If you answered “C”, you’re kind of pushing it. If you’re finishing up college, you can probably save some face, but you might want to look into your own apartment pretty soon. If you answered “D”, you’re at or past the typical age for graduation, and your parents don’t want you in their house. If they say they do, they’re lying. Get out.

Do you work? (Or are you looking for a job?)

1. Yes, and I’m taking 14+ hours
  2. Yes, and taking less than 14 hours
  3. No, but I’m taking 18+ hours
  4. No, I’m just slacking off.

If you answered “A” or “C”, I think you’re all right. Studying and working is tough, as I’ve found out this semester. Living at home is probably going to give you the support you need to make it through. If you answered “B”, you’re on the border. Try to get those classes in a little sooner so you don’t end up graduating too late. “D” is self-explanatory. If you don’t fit into one of the other categories, you fit into “D”. No excuses.

How does your room look?

1. Neat and tidy as always
  2. Not bad, a few things here and there.
  3. Erm…okay, I guess. Maybe.
  4. Absolute train wreck. My mom begs me to let her pick it up.

I’ll go ahead and own up to the fact that I fit squarely into “D”. If you answered “A” or “B”, you may be okay. If you have an OCD mom (Or grandmother… I love you, Grandma) this might be a bigger deal than you realize. Bottom line: if you can’t keep your space clean enough to appease the owner of the house, you should probably relocate. If you don’t know which of these you are, ask.

Are we losers? If you think you might be, don’t be too hard on yourself.  There’s nothing wrong with using your parents as a launch pad, just so long as the ignition countdown is in progress. My parents always tell me that they don’t mind that I’m living with them. In forty years, I know I won’t mind them living with me. If you’re stuck at home for whatever reason, just try to help out however you can. Let your parents know that you appreciate them, and they might even enjoy having you around for a few more years.

Image courtesy of Hectorir via Flickr

Megan is a Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Southern Miss. She is a senior at the University of Southern Mississippi, double majoring in political science and news-editorial journalism. After graduation, she hopes to travel a lot and write even more.