This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Relationships are great and all–but let’s face it: they can be really expensive. Even if you and your boyfriend or girlfriend are splitting the bill, it can seriously add up on a college student’s budget. Here are some free or cheap ideas for spending a night out together.

1. FREE: Picnic

Picnics are awesome. Who doesn’t love a picnic? The weather is finally cooling down so this is a great time to do this. Grab yourself an old blanket, get some food out of the cabinet and go sit and stare into each other’s starry-eyed faces until you’re moonlit. It’s so romantic.

This can be a free activity, or about as cheap as the wine & cheese (or ham & coke–whatever) you buy for it.

2. FREE: Art Gallery

Because our USM art museum was totaled by the tornado, I suggest taking a short drive to Oddfellows downtown. Hey if you catch yourself walking into a reception, you get to help yourself to the free food and drinks (alcoholic & nonalcoholic are at these sorts of things.) Talk about “how weird” all the art looks with your man, and you guys can totally “not get it” together! For free!

3. FREE/CHEAP: Cook for Each Other

If you’re good at putting together things you already have in your kitchen, this will be free. If not, there are some pretty easy recipes out there. I lucked out in that I tend to date people who enjoy cooking. Though in the past I’ve burnt some excellent scrambled eggs for patient boyfriends. Take turns cooking, or help each other. Making pizzas together can be fun. Enjoy your smiley-face pepperoni pizza infront of some Netflix.

4. CHEAP: The Beach

Take advantage of the fact that Hattiesburg is only 1.5 hours away from the coast. Take a day, pack some lunches, and spend some time holding hands on the beach. The minimum cost of this date will be your gas money. The best part is getting the heck away from Hattiesburg for a while!

5. CHEAP: Go to A Show

Hattiesburg is pretty huge into the music scene, given the size of our town. Take a drive downtown and get weird in the dance scene of the Boom Boom Room. Swing by the Tavern and soak up the metal. Stop by Nick’s Ice House for a truly, uh, unique experience. Wind down at The Thirsty Hippo for some more relaxed tunes. If you’re wanting a place where you can still talk to your beloved, the Hippo will probably be your best bet.

Be sure to check out The Yellow Fiddle right across campus. All of the places I named have shows pretty often. You’ll definitely have somewhere to be every weekend if you like their facebook pages.

There are some other options of course, but hopefully I gave you some great ideas. Dates are all about spending time with each other. Enjoying your boo shouldn’t mean breaking the bank. Have a great week Collegiettes!

Cathy C.

Southern Miss

Hello! I am a 5th year senior, working towards a Graphic Design BFA with a minor in English. I am an ex-Greek transfer student, here to help you keep all of your sex/health/relationship facts straight.