4 Ways to Keep Your Resolution Beyond January

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

For every collegiette, 2012 was filled with happy moments, sad moments, funny moments, awkward moments and memorable moments. However, it’s time to send out the old year and ring in the new. Whether you celebrated with a wild party or a quiet night in, the best and worst moments of the past years drifted through our heads, along with our goals for 2013. Making it through the first month without breaking resolutions can be the toughest.

Earlier this month, collegiettes and others around the world pledged themselves to varying goals, otherwise known as New Year’s Resolutions. This tradition, carried through the years to modern times, actually began in the pre-Christian years in Rome according to Bill Petro. In those days, Romans celebrated the New Year in part by making morally inspired promises.

When the Roman Empire declared Christianity its official religion, the festivities surrounding the New Year’s pagan roots were abandoned, and a religious feast was put in its place. Over the years, however, Christians such as the Puritans refused to partake in secular celebrations and instead reflected on the previous year and possible improvements. In this way, the custom of New Year’s Resolutions resurfaced.

In fact, a study by the University of Scranton’s Journal of Clinical Psychology reports that 45% of Americans usually make New Year’s Resolutions. However, according to this study, only 8% of Americans are successful in their resolutions. Here are a few tips to ensure that you are a part of that 8%!

1. Good resolutions

One of the most important secrets to success with your resolution is the resolution itself. In order for a resolution to last, it must be something really important – something you really want! In addition to this, it is necessary to limit yourself to only a few resolutions. If you’re serious about success, limiting yourself can help you focus on what’s most important without getting swamped by too many resolutions.

[pagebreak]

2. Keep them fresh

One other key to resolution success is reminding yourself of your resolution. Seeing a reminder of your yearlong goal can keep you focused and on track. Try taping your resolution to your bathroom mirror.

Create a Pinterest-like board of pictures and motivation to put in your room. Even better, specify your reminder to your resolution. For example, if your resolution involves weight loss, place your reminder on your refrigerator. Keeping your resolution fresh will help you succeed all year long.

[pagebreak]

3. Go public

Another crucial step in resolution success is the acquisition of outside support: go public! Tell your friends, sorority sisters, roommate, classmates, or any other supportive person about your resolution and ask them to hold you accountable. Having outside accountability and a support system can get you through the difficult days when you just really don’t feel like exercising or when you really want that delicious chocolate cake.

[pagebreak]

4.Go hard or go home

The last and arguably the most important step to New Year’s resolution success is commitment. This means no cheating! While taking it easy for one day a week may be acceptable for some resolutions, this does not mean total abandonment of the goal.

For example, a lighter workout and maybe even a small cookie for dessert every now and again are acceptable. In order to prevent a total slide, make rules for yourself, and follow them! By doing this, you can achieve your resolution and move on to bigger and better resolutions next year!

Picture sources: coffeetococktails napaneeheritagequiltersguild  http://www.xxlmag.com/?attachment_id=4364 http://martinfamilymoments.blogspot.com/2012/05/balance-and-determination.html