Our Very Own Meg Dixon Takes to the Skies for Charity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

Groucho Marx once said “I’ve learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it”. It seems that HerCampus Southampton’s very own Meg Dixon has taken these words literally, taking to the skies by abseiling the Spinnaker tower last Saturday for Children with Cancer UK.

Her mission? Climb the Spinnaker Tower, the tallest accessible structure in the United Kingdom outside of London; a task not for the timid! Meg managed to climb a soaring 96 meters up the tower before stopping for a quick photo: 

Meg: “Abseiling down the spinnaker tower was an incredible but terrifying experience. The worst part was stepping off the platform and leaning back into nothing, especially when the camera man then asked me to smile for a picture!”

Climbing the tower was only half of the assignment; as with all things, what goes up must of course come down:

Meg: “It felt as though the bottom of the tower wasn’t getting any closer, no matter how fast I abseiled! When I finished, I was very relieved to be back on solid ground! It was a really exhilarating experience and has left me feeling like I can take on the world! So pleased to have raised over £300 for Children with Cancer UK!”

The money Meg has raised will fund vital research into cancer treatments, helping those who really need it. A towering achievement and an inspiration for students everywhere! Kudos to Meg Dixon for raising the bar 96 meters high. 

Leonidas Achilleos is the president of the University of Southampton's HerCampus chapter.