Mulled Wine, Mince Pies and Glitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

This season is the only time that it is deemed socially acceptable to walk around in public resembling a human disco ball. It is also one of those times when you want to be on point from head to toe, thinking about every aspect of your outfit. However, it is all about getting the right balance. J Lo’s look here definitely doesn’t float my boat. Christmas is about going all out while still pulling off class. So why not add the right amount of sparkle into your life to get you in the spirit. These celebs effortlessly pull off the bling! One of the top trends this Autumn/Winter according to ELLE is Excess All Areas. Do not be afraid to create new combos as long as there is no clash. Dolce and Gabbana’s embellishment is definitely King of the castle here. Fendi’s fur mohicans and Tom Ford’s cross-cultural, multi-ethnic extravaganza collection prove that jewels are IN. When taking into consideration the colours of Winter 2013/2014 it becomes easier to narrow down your choices for your perfect Christmas frock. There is a lot of colour but it is subtle. My personal favourite is the samba. I think that shades of red are perfect around Christmas. Forget LBD, it is all about the rouge. So, starting with the most important feature of your ensemble – the dress. I am going to be basing my look around ASOS today. (Ever fed up of paying shipping fee after shipping fee? ASOS offer a fabulous deal. A payment of £10 will secure you with a year of free postage.) This Virgos Lounge Catrin Skater Dress (left £55) is ideal for a do or party. The gold sequin detail follows the current trends and the colour is gorgeous. Taking inspiration from the Carvela Suede Adara Point Single Sole Court Shoes (middle £140), slightly up-market and out of budget, the Oasis Mia Insert Court Shoes (right £45) synchronise with the gold shimmer in the dress and add another block colour to the outfit. To finish off, put these cute, dainty Designsix Chapel Heart Drop earrings on (left, £5 from £9) and glam up your nails with some bewitching black Gelish nails with a gold glitter overlay (right, around £15-£30).

President of Southampton's chapter. 19 year old first year studying BA English.