Inside Her Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

Forget looking into the wardrobes of Kate, Kim or Caggie. This week we look inside English Literature student-Alice Carpenter’s- wardrobe to see what treasures lay hidden…

Dressing for a first date  

Shirt: Urban Outfitters

Jeans: Topshop

Chelsea boots: Topshop

Alice: “I like this outfit as it doesn’t look too try hard. The worst thing you can do on a date is look like you have put too much effort in. The sheer blouse gives enough flesh without being too much and obviously my legs are covered because everyone knows the leg or boobs rule!”

A mid-heeled Chelsea boot gives the illusion of height within the pain of a stiletto, this gives Alice some extra height without looking too overdressed. A sheer blouse gives the hint of flesh whilst keeping it chic. And who doesn’t work a good pair of skinny jeans?

Where would you recommend for a first date in Southampton?

Alice: “I’d say Trago Lounge. It’s not too pretentious, has good food and not too expensive! Which is a bonus if you are expecting him to pay!”

Day on campus

Cardigan: Topshop

Skirt: Topshop

Necklace: Forever 21

Shoes: New Look

As a third year the social hub becomes the library, so dressing to impress is vital! Alice has this look nailed. By teaming a floral skirt with a heavy gold necklace, she hardens up the look, making it more Kate Moss that Kate Middleton!

Alice: ‘As you are starting to see I’m a bit of a Topshop fiend! I just think it’s the best valued shop on the high street! I like this outfit as it’s quite casual and comfortable, whilst still being girly. I live and die in my skinny jeans so a floaty skirt is a nice alternative’.

So you’ve got the look, but where would we find you around campus?

Alice: “I’d be at Avenue Campus, I can’t stand Hartley Library it’s just far too busy. I spend a lot of time in the cafe: coffee break gossips are a must!”

Night out:

Shorts- Miss Selfridge

Bandeau- H&M

Heels- New Look

This outfit works due to the offset of the muted rose pink and the black shorts. A wedge heel can be a comfortable alternative to a skyscraper heels, still giving the leg that extra length. These shorts could be updated for spring with a cream blouse for a smart day look.

Alice says “I am a fan of a short pair of shorts for a night out and heels are a must.”

Where would we find you on a night out?

Alice: “I’ll usually be  out somewhere like Cafe Parfait or Voodoo– somewhere I can really get dressed up and wear a good pair of heels! I never go out without a mirror and some mascara to top up throughout the night, those are my essentials”

Outfit associated with a fond memory:

Dress- Urban Outfitters

Shoes- New look

Bag: Vintage

“This is an outfit I only wore a few weeks ago for my 21st birthday. I can’t help but love a little black dress. The bag was my aunt’s from the 80’s. I love hand-me-downs!”

This look is timeless: the dress incorporates the on-trend skater skirt with classic black lace to update a trend which shows no sign of  fading any time soon! Her berry heels have captured the Autumn/Winter 2012 trend, adding a burst of colour to her look.

Alice’s look is eclectic- mixing jewel colours with pastels and florals; she is a girl who knows her fashion and how to work her best assets.

Fancy being featured in a future ‘In her Wardrobe’? Email ob2g10@soton.ac.uk and you could be our next model!

A True Coco Goddess! HAHA