HCS’s Top Holiday Destinations of 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

It’s hard to even imagine summer when exams are looming, the weather is dull and you’re stuck in your student house the middle of Portswood still trying to finish that last piece of coursework so you can make a start on revision.  This week, we’re checking out some of the hottest holiday destinations of 2013! From girly getaways to romantic weekends, action packed adventures and revitalising breaks, everyone loves having something to look forward to! When was the last time you treated yourself? 

1. NEW YORK

Best for: Shopping & sightseeing

At the very top of our list is the one and only NYC. With an endless supply of attractions on offer, you’ll be busier than Fifth Avenue on payday! One minute you’re surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Times Square, and the next you’re gazing down at the city from amongst the clouds on the 86th floor of the Empire State Building. Need a break? Escape to the picturesque Central Park and enjoy an ice cream whilst thinking about venturing into the Upper East Side, Gossip Girl style.

2. MARRAKESH

Best for: Relaxation & culture

Only a 4 hour flight away, Marrakesh is a hidden gem that has fallen right onto our doorstep. An enchanted Moroccan city of snake charmers, monkey tamers and the occasional street dentist (yes, they do exist!) are not the only things that you’ll come across on your travels. The souks (Moroccan marketplaces) are a maze of hidden shops and boutiques, selling almost anything from shoes and jewellery to carpets and lamps.  It’s no wonder that there’s something different being sold on every corner. A trip to Morocco would not be complete without visiting a Hammam (Moroccan spa). Not only is it guaranteed to leave you feeling refreshed, but it is also a great way to experience the true Moroccan lifestyle.

3. CANNES

Best for: Beeches (& getting that perfect tan!)

Located on the Côte d’Azur, Cannes really is the crème de la crème of beach holiday destinations. The crystal blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea and white sands are any beach-lovers idea of paradise, not to mention the 300 days of sunshine it receives each year! If you can manage to tear yourself away from the sunbed, there’s a whole host of stylish and sophisticated restaurants and cocktail bars waiting to be discovered.  Live like a celeb and rent out a yacht…okay, maybe too far, but we can dream can’t we?

These are just some of our favourite destinations, but just remember there’s a whole world out there waiting to be explored! So next time you’re in need of a little pick-me-up, don’t forget that summer is just around the corner!