Claudia Rose: Creator of the Strongbow Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

This week, we spoke to Claudia Rose, president of the Southampton University’s cake decorating society! A completely unique (and very yummy) society, Claudia tells us all about the society, icing cakes and a Strongbow cake?!

HC: Hi, Claudia! So how did you become president of the cake decorating society?

I was a member of the society last year and immediately asked if they needed any help. The then-president, Sameer, had me in charge of equipment for the society at first, but I got to know how things were run and started to think of some cake decorating ideas for the next year so decided to run for president!

HC: Have you always liked decorating cakes, or is it something you’ve discovered since being in the society?

I’ve always loved it! I originally just wanted to make personalised cakes for my friends’ birthdays, but my cakes started to get very elaborate and I enjoyed it more and more every time. The cake decorating society has made me love it even more, though. It’s so exciting to see and learn other people’s creative cake decoration ideas.

HC: Do you ever make your own cakes, or do you just like the decorating part?

To be honest, I’m not a very good cake baker. I’ve got really good at making sponge cakes and chocolate cakes, as I always use them to decorate on, but I haven’t really tried anything else. I’m only really interested in the artsy side of it!

HC: Do you put foodie pictures of your cakes on Facebook? I know I would!

On Facebook, my friends have posted up the cakes I’ve done for their birthdays. There are quite a few! Themes have included a guitar cake, an aeroplane cake, a skiing cake, a cat cake, a rabbit cake, a drum cake, a cheerleading cake, a teddy bear cake, a Strongbow cake and a cake in the shape of a bum. We also post photos from cake dec. sessions on Facebook, which have included themes like Despicable Me and Mike Wazowski (Monsters, Inc.), farm animals, general piping, snowmen, Christmas trees, ghosts, pumpkins, dresses and tuxes. Have a look!

HC: If you had to have an all-time favourite cake, what would it be?

I was pretty happy with the Strongbow cake I made for my friend. I made a normal cake and then made a Strongbow can cake coming out of it. It took hours, but it went so well and my friend seemed to like it, so I was very happy with it.

HC: And finally, what’s been your favourite decorating session in the society?

I loved the snowmen and Christmas trees! They looked so good and they had a ton of icing on them, so they were so yummy.  We sold them the next day at the RAG Christmas market and raised a fair amount of money!

Are you interested in joining the cake decorating society? Places are full for this year, but to sign up for individual sessions, check out the society’s Facebook page. As Claudia says, the society “provides equipment, cake decorating tutorials and fellow cake decorating enthusiasts, so make sure you sign up next year if you are interested. Spread the love with cake!”

Meg Dixon

Southampton

I'm Meg and I'm a second year English and Film student at the university of Southampton. I'm very excited to be a co-editor in chief for Her Campus Southampton!
Leonidas Achilleos is the president of the University of Southampton's HerCampus chapter.