This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

So Charlie, first things first, how did you get into music?

I’ve been singing ever since I was little and my parents encouraged me to do music from an early age.

That’s great that you started so young, what would you consider to be your most significant musical achievement so far? 

Probably singing at the choral Olympics with the Berkshire Girls Choir or being on BBC radio.

That’s quite an accomplishment! How did you manage to be on the radio? 

I was very fortunate to be part of a great choir; we became choir of the year on Songs Of Praise and we had a fantastic conductor who no doubt pushed for us to do great things like being on radio. 

Sounds like a great experience! Fashion is another interest of yours and you also interned at Elle recently. How did that all come about? 

Yes I did! I thought it would be a good idea to get some work experience as I’m not sure what I’d like to do when I graduate yet, so I did some research and sent some emails. 

I’m sure they loved that you took the initiative to get in contact with them. What kind of things did you have to do during your internship? 

If you’re thinking about it you should definitely go for it, it’s a great place to work! I was working in the fashion department doing jobs like call-ins for the fashion editors. 

No doubt that’s going to stand out on your CV. Do you have any advice for others who are looking for/about to start internships? 

If you’re thinking about doing anything – email! They are lovely people who want interesting people like Southampton University students to work for them. Tell them why you want to work for them and what you have to offer. Attaching a copy of your CV to let them know about your previous experiences/skills set is always a good idea. 

Thanks for the advice! And lastly, what inspired your pink dip dye? (Which looks great by the way). 

Umm I’d wanted to do something a bit wild! It was actually the last thing I did as a teenager – got it done the day before my 20th birthday and I’ve been doing it myself ever since! 

Liv Bennett

Southampton

Sian Williams

Southampton