Celebrity Sighting in West Quay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.
So, while we were all busy at home eating Easter eggs, enjoying some sunshine or (probably not) getting on with all those essays due in over the next few weeks, a real life celebrity was roaming the streets of Southampton, and even doing a little bit of shopping in our very own West Quay!

Who was this celebrity, I hear you ask? Well, prepare to be stuck to your chair with surprise, and you’d better keep an eye out for any hidden zombies… 

Have you guessed yet? That’s right… Master magician Derren Brown was in town! The 43 year old illusionist was in Southampton to perform his new show, Infamous, and anyone lucky enough to be in West Quay on Thursday 10th April would have been treated to meeting the man for real, as he stocked up on treats for his team in Red 5 Southampton, the gadgets shop full of all sorts of weird and wonderful contraptions. 

And as for the show? Well, I’m sure it’ll be no surprise to Derren Brown fans worldwide that it was incredible. Even three weeks on, I still find myself wondering exactly how he did it! And having gone on stage (briefly) to role a dice, I can confirm that Derren is as lovely in person as he is on TV, and hilarious. If the illusionist thing doesn’t work out, there’s always a career as a comedian, Derren!
And judging by his tweet at the end of his time in Southampton, Derren thought a lot of us in the audience too.. ( though sadly not on night. HerCampus went, sigh!)

“@DerrenBrown: Fun show tonight in Southampton. Amazing crowd. Highly attractive bunch. All good.” (12/04/2014 01.27)

But what happened in the show? How did he do it? Now, that would be telling… Or maybe I’ve been hypnotised so I don’t remember… 
Meg Dixon

Southampton

I'm Meg and I'm a second year English and Film student at the university of Southampton. I'm very excited to be a co-editor in chief for Her Campus Southampton!