All the fun of the Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

The annual Met Ball Gala was held on May 6th in New York’s prestigious Metropolitan Museum. It is a renowned event on the international fashion calendar: celebrities can release their inner fashionista and clad in Valentino to Vivienne Westwood establish their fashion credentials. However, this year was a little different with the theme of ‘Punk Chaos’ . Usually epitomised by elegance, the red carpet was awash with studs, tartan and more studs. Here are my personal favourite looks of the night…

DO showcase your fashion allegiance: Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence got it spot on in a 50’s style floor-length gown by Christian Dior. An avid Dior fan, this quintessentially glamorous look was a hit with the paparazzi, and I’m sure the French fashion house were equally as pleased to have such a beautiful fan!

DO commit to the look: contentious as this look was, Katy Perry’s regal mosaic frock by Dolce & Gabbana was accompanied by a crown and costume jewellery: let’s face it if anyone can pull it off Katy can!

DO use the occasion to showcase the new hair: annoyingly-nice annoyingly-friendly Anne Hathaway went someway to shift her prissy image by teaming her stunning Valentino gown with her new peroxide crop-do.

DO mix classic glamour with a punky edge: model of the moment Cara Delevingne wore a plunging neck-lined black Burberry gown, embellished with gold studs. Can this girl do no wrong?

DO show off your best assets: Actress Miranda Kerr wowed in a cut out Balenciaga floor-length gown, and with abs like hers who wouldn’t!

DON’T frighten your audience: the putative Queen of Pop Madonna caused a media frenzy with her haute couture Givenchy disaster: designed by Riccardo Tisci the words ‘mutton’ and ‘lamb’ spring to mind. Where to begin I do not know: the tacky netting? distinct lack of bottom half? or perhaps THAT awkwardly placed crucifix? My advice would be maybe it’s time to hang up those net stockings Madge and leave it to the younger ones….