The 2 Most Essential Colours In Your Wardrobe This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out that monochrome colours have played a big role in this year’s fashion so far. One of the best, most recent examples of this trend was Blake Lively’s stunning red-carpet dress at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival a few days ago. Blake looked sophisticated, elegant yet timeless in her Gucci Première dress, as pictured below.

I think it’s fair to say that Blake and Ryan Reynolds are not only a fashionable pair, but they are also one of the most gorgeous, and enviable couples to have graced the entire planet… *sigh*. However, jealousy aside, Blake’s dress follows the popular black and white catwalk and street trend. Definitely a classic.

The trend features simplified shapes and monochrome colours, with the occasional glimmer of brightly coloured accessories. The idea is that less is more, and the way to look elegant and refined this summer is by including more black and white in your wardrobe. This style is typical of designer brands such as Chanel and Prada as they both use crisp monochrome colours to create sharp, defined looks. However the best part is that for us students, this style is so affordable!

Minimalistic styles such as this are easy on the student pocket. After all, the aim is not to over complicate things. Topshop in particular is currently stocking up on its availability of white clothing – you can take a look here. This style is so versatile and sure to suit everyone; investing in the trend will definitely keep you feeling fabulous this summer!

I’m so fancy!

My name is Emma and I'm a first year history student from the University of Southampton. I have an interest in style, healthy eating and fitness. In my free time I like to paint, horse ride and have an interest in animal rights. You can check my twitter out here: http://twitter.com/emma_briers and my instagram here: http://instagram.com/emma_briers