10 things the 86th Academy Awards got right.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southampton chapter.

If you are a film lover like me, no doubt you stayed up into the early hours on Sunday evening, or at least tried, to see the events of the Oscar pan out live. An eager wait to see who would swoop up the top awards.

And it is certainly safe to say the 86th Academy Awards did not disappoint, and we have come up with our top ten moments of the night.

1.       Where better to start than with the host herself, Ellen DeGeneres did a fine job hosting this year, her good-natured and effortlessly entertaining humour did little to disappoint. 

2.       Jennifer Lawrence fell again. We all sat up in our seats last year as everyone’s favourite J-Law stacked it on the steps when picking up the prestigious ‘Best Actress’ award. Although not successful in winning this year, once again Jennifer did not let us down, falling as she attended the red carpet. 

3.       That speech! From rom-coms to winning the golden man, it’s a certainty that McConaughey has come a long way, and his emotional, at times bizzarre acceptance speech was just right. 

4.       Meryl Streep dancing with Pharrell Williams. 

5.       Lupito Nyong’O dancing with Pharrell Williams. 

6.       Pharrell’s hat dancing with Pharrell Williams. It has appeared on nearly all the red carpets this award season, but we are still a little confused?

7.       Jared Leto, a well-deserved win and a beautiful man.

8.       That picture. It’s been the most re-tweeted picture ever so there is no way you can’t have already seen it, absolute perfection!

9.       The fashion. Hollywood royalty came out in full force and looked outstanding.

10.       And ‘Best Picture’ goes to: 12 Years a Slave. It is safe to say Gravity cleared up at the Oscars but a triumphant win for Steve McQueen’s moving picture.