Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It Is Important to Love Yourself Before You Can Love Someone Else

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We have all seen it before. The inevitable crumbling relationship between two people who never actually settled their unpronounced differences. The worst part about the entire process is sometimes it is impossible to pinpoint the exact issue. The two people involved become so incredibly fixated within their current state that no effort is given to relinquish the problems, eventually resulting in downfall. What if there was an underlying issue that sprouted before the relationship had even began? Would it have been easier to avoid the issue altogether?

A complication that arises in many relationships is a lack of self-respect. The person responsible for creating majority of the issues has never fully appreciated the person they have grown into – not allowing them to appreciate the person they are now in a relationship with. It is a tell-tale sign of personal dissatisfaction. You cannot expect to be able to surrender a part of your heart to someone else, whenever you’re not free from your own disapproval. 

So, before you decide to enter yourself into a relationship with potential to fall in love, reevaluate the love you have for yourself. It sounds selfish. But, it is extremely important to have full confidence in your personality, looks, goals, aspirations etc. before you have the task of worrying with another person’s. If you are faced with a crossroads of your significant other not allowing you the time to do so, they are more than likely not a proper match. The person you are interested in should grant you more than enough time to grow into your own person, with respect that it will only better the relationship as a whole. Just as importantly, you should do the same for them. 

If you are currently faced with issues regarding your own relationship, consider the possibility of taking time to love yourself. Even if it is someone you have been with since preschool. The dilemma that results in lack of appreciation could destroy the two of you if not addressed. Guaranteed; if the person claims to truly love and care about you, they will be more than willing to do what is required to save the relationship. 

For the girls who are currently single, but expect to be dating soon: look within your heart before you give it away. You have to know that there are hundreds of girls who wished they would of learned to love themselves before they decided to love someone else. It would of saved so much heartache. Be aware, before you are responsible for the feelings and concerns of another, focus on your own. 

Now, if you have struggled with self-love for a while now, do not give up hope on finding your soul mate. Keep learning new things about yourself everyday. Grow to become the woman you have always dreamed of. Because, you deserve all of the love in the world, especially from the person who knows you best: YOU!

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.