Style > Beauty

Why I’m obsessed with this cruelty-free beauty brand

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I’m not one to be obsessed with a brand. Honestly, I’m horribly disloyal to most companies. I buy different brands of shampoo and face wash all the time. Yes, maybe I’m crazy. But I’m free. There is one brand, however, that I just can’t let go of. That brand is Truly Beauty.

From its gorgeous packaging (glass jars with lids dipped in gold), silky smooth butters and lotions, a variety of products for every part of your body (from your face to your feet), and heavenly scents, they’re literally the full package. Beyond the superficial aesthetics, their products are also 100% vegan and cruelty-free. Usually, my prime focus when looking for products is affordability. But the brand isn’t so bad in that department either, with many of their products sitting at around $30.

Now, I know a lot of companies have these qualifications, but for some reason, it’s this particular beauty brand I am enthralled by. They are delicious in every way, I literally want to eat their products because they look like little, colorful whipped cakes. It’s safe to say I’m too obsessed. But, I only own one of their products so far, and the more I write about this company, the more I wonder if I’m being duped by good marketing and cute packaging. I’m a sucker for those things. So, I did a little research.

Here’s the tea.

First, I checked out their social media and found it to be looking real and relatable. Truly posts before and after pictures of real women with real skin using their products. That way you know how their products really work.

Digging a little deeper on the internet, I found that the brand’s former name was Truly Organic, but after a controversy, they changed it to Truly Beauty. What happened was that although (at the time) Truly was saying they were 100% organic and vegan, some of their products were not. So, the company changed their name and now say they have a “clean and vegan base” for their products with “high-performing skin care ingredients,” to refrain from providing misleading information.

Doing some further digging into some of their most popular products, I decided to read some reviews. Their most popular product is probably their acne patches. Some say these patches work better than others they’ve tried and get into the skin deeper. They are also available in so many cute shapes so you can even wear them during the day. The ingredient that is so powerful in these patches is the hydrocolloids, which lessen the size of acne on your skin so it’s less noticeable.

Now, the products I see the most from them on social media are their whipped body butters. The colorful, whipped appearance of these in their glass jars has made these explode in popularity. It’s not just about the look though, the products also have tons of shea butter, acai, collagen, matcha, and vitamins like vitamin E, which makes the application thick and smooth. The vitamins also lead to better hydration and repair for your skin, without the harsh ingredients. They’re heavenly, although I will admit you can probably find a very comparable butter in the aisle of CVS or Walmart for a slightly cheaper price. But, the packaging is, of course, part of the pull.

Other popular products of theirs include the gold black soap and their collagen line. A lot of people also like that Truly has products meant for specific areas of your body, like their boob or butt collections.

Truly Beauty has some amazing-smelling, aesthetically pleasing products with so many skin benefits. I will say after my small investigation that you can probably find comparable products that are cheaper and offer those same benefits, and you’ll only be missing out on the aesthetic. Some dermatologists have also frowned on Truly Beauty’s use of fragrance, although, I must say I love the good smells.

If you’re wanting something for a little self-care moment, or a cute product line to obsess over, then splurge and treat yourself to something from Truly Beauty. There’s a wide variety of products to choose from, and they often do giveaways on social media, discounted days, and bundle deals.

Camryn Teder

South Carolina '22

Camryn is a media arts major at the University of South Carolina. She loves Gus Dapperton, indie films, and her two dachshunds Gretchen and Heidi. You can find her laughing with friends over coffee, listening to Lily Allen on repeat, or day dreaming about Chicago.