This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Over time, more and more birth control options have become available to women across the United States and the world. With increased availability and variety, the decision on which birth control you use is yours. Here’s how I made my choice to use the patch, and how I knew it was the right decision.

I was lucky enough to receive a fairly comprehensive sex education in my high school back in NJ. Of course, I learned how to put a condom on, but we also got to see what IUDs and implants look like, as well as learn how the pill works. However, the one birth control I don’t remember ever learning about is the patch, which is why it surprised me when my gynecologist recommended it to me.

My visit with the doctor was pretty straightforward; the first part was the annual gynecological exam, which may be required for some people to get a birth control prescription. During the latter part of the visit, we talked about birth control. We started the conversation by talking about the pain and unpredictability that I experience with my periods. I ruled out IUDs and the implant immediately because I didn’t want to commit to one form of birth control for 3 years when I’d never been on anything before. Based on my needs, she recommended either the birth control pill or the patch. I asked her for a bit more info on the patch, and she gave me the rundown.  

In terms of birth control, the patch is just as effective (91%) as the pill, except you don’t have to worry about taking a pill every single day. With the patch, you just need to change it once a week. You can pick which day to be your “change day”; most people make it on Sundays. You can put the patch in a few different places, such as your arm, back, or shoulders, but you need to change its location each time you put on a new one.

At first, I had some doubts. How would a patch be able to stick to my skin undisturbed for an entire week? I can’t even keep a bandaid on for a day. I have found that the patches stay on surprisingly well, even through showers and workouts. I was also skeptical about the patch’s impact on my pain. I’ve noticed that, over time, my menstrual pain has gotten less severe. I’ve also noticed that it makes my cycle more regular; following the patch cycle, I can look months ahead and know that I’ll be on my “off” (period) week at that time, and adjust my plans accordingly. Believe me, having mother nature’s “gift” show up unexpectedly in the middle of a beach vacay is so not ideal.

There was only one unexpected side effect for me; during the first few weeks, my breasts were super tender and swollen (meaning I went up almost a whole cup size, which NGL I can’t really complain about).

There are some catches. Xulane, a popular brand of birth control patches, is super expensive without insurance (meaning up to $50 a patch). However, campaigns like No Drama give South Carolina women the option to meet with a nurse and choose from many birth control options for little to no cost. UofSC students can also meet with Women’s Health doctors on campus for a free birth control consultation.

Jenna Cameron

South Carolina '21

Jenna is a social work major with a minor in criminal justice at the University of South Carolina. She is a sophomore and this is her first year writing for Her Campus.
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!