Who Runs the World – Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you’re not a basketball fan, or even a sports fan, chances are you’ve still heard about our women’s basketball team. Currently ranked number two in the nation, the Lady Gamecocks stand as role models for girls everywhere.

Monday’s game against the University of Connecticut brought national attention to our university. For the first time since the creation of our women’s team, the game was sold out. Fans were lined up outside of the Colonial Life Arena as early as 11:30 a.m. for the 7:00 p.m. start. When I arrived, the line to the student entrance at College Street was backed up all the way to the Player Parent entrance, which you know is quite the distance if you’ve ever been to a game. Don’t worry – If you’re thinking about going to a game for the first time, lines are not usually this long.

The energy inside the arena was contagious: everyone was clapping, screaming, and waving their towels to Sandstorm. Following a wonderful performance of the National Anthem by our men’s chorus, the introduction video played on the jumbo-tron and things got even more exciting.

Immediately after tipoff, it became clear that this would not be an easy game for us. The University of Connecticut has an impeccable defense that plays a huge role their current ranking as number one. The University of South Carolina suffered many shot clock violations and failed passes, and with 1:43 remaining in the first period, almost all of our second string players were on the court. After the first period, the Gamecocks trailed the Huskies 17-8.

During the second period, sophomore A’ja Wilson (#22) suffered an injury to her leg. Still down in points, the Gamecocks retaliated to the injury in the best way they possibly could have: running down the court, making a basket, and making a foul shot to reduce the deficit to 30-18. Soon after, senior Tiffany Mitchell (#25) scored the Gamecocks’ first 3-point shot of the game. South Carolina was still down as we went into halftime. As a lull began to set in in the crowd, A’ja Wilson returned with 26 seconds remaining in the 3rd period. Her first play back in the game was a rebound, and the crowd went wild! Despite their determination and positive attitudes, the Gamecocks were unable to stop the Huskies and ultimately lost their first game this season 66-54.

For those of you who aren’t as interested in sports as I am, the basketball games are not all basketball. If you missed Monday’s game, you missed Cocky doing cartwheels to Beyoncé’s new single “Formation” during the first timeout. You missed free food, including barbeque sandwiches for USC students, a free cheese fry appetizer at Fatz Café (thanks to the Gamecocks scoring more points in the second period than the first), and giveaways from Marco’s Pizza and Chick-fil-a. You also missed out on the Carolina Girls’ newest performance at halftime, and the Chick-fil-a cows throwing free t-shirts into the crowd.

And yes, going to these games does in fact increase your loyalty points if you’re hoping to have a higher chance of seeing the first football games of next season!

If reading this article has inspired you to watch the lady Gamecocks take on Florida this Thursday at 7:00 p.m. or Georgia on Thursday, February 18th at 7:00 p.m., be sure to check out this article provided by the University of South Carolina for information regarding ticketing and what to expect at your first game. 

Cassie Sobers

South Carolina

Cassie is a Management and Marketing major at the University of South Carolina. She is an outgoing and adventurous person, and an avid runner. When she is not writing for Her Campus or training for a race, you can find her browsing Pinterest for a creative project to tackle, reading a good book, or cooking a delicious meal.
SC Contributor

South Carolina