Where to Find Your Next Furry Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

FUN FACT: March 23rd is National Puppy Day! 

In celebration of the holiday, let’s break down all the places you can find your new furry best friend in Columbia, SC! When making the tough choice to get a new pet, it’s important to know what shelters are nearby and which holds the perfect addition to your family. Let’s take a look at some options! 

Pawmetto Lifeline

1275 Bower Pkwy, Columbia, SC 29212

Pawmetto Lifeline has a no-kill policy and strives to give homeless dogs a loving home. Adoption fee is different for each pet, but it includes their microchip, current vaccines, spay/neuter surgery, and flea/heartworm prevention. They also provide a variety of medical services, including a van mobile vaccine clinic. Pawmetto Lifeline is probably the most popular location where Columbia’s locals adopt their new pet.

Final Victory Animal Rescue

919 N Lucas St. West Columbia, SC 29169

Right across the bridge is the Final Victory Animal Rescue that has the cutest dogs, puppies, and cats for adoption. They are also another popular option! Local adoption fee for adult dogs is $400, $400 for puppies, and $130 for cats. This fee covers vetting, microchipping, and care while in the facility. 

They also have a foster program to give you time to decide what pet is your perfect match! Besides fostering, one can also volunteer or donate in order to support the organization!

Columbia Animal Services 

127 Humane Lane, Columbia, South Carolina 29209

Each adoptable pet is only $35 and they have unique canine meet and greet areas for you to play around with your potential future pet! They don’t post any pictures of their animals online, but do they have a fostering and volunteering program that allows you to meet them.

PETSinc

300 Orchard Drive, West Columbia, SC 29170

PETSinc has many dog and cat options while also providing affordable veterinary and pet services! They are also another nonprofit, non-kill organization that focuses on low cost, high quality care for the animals.

From a cute, little chihuahua to a brave german shepherd, every dog deserves a forever home! Check out these wonderful rescues if you’re looking to find your next furry best friend — I’m sure one of these shelters has the right pet for you!

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!