Style > Beauty

What’s up with Curology?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I really don’t want this to be an article about my experience with acne, because obviously I have skin issues if I am using Curology. With that being said, I want to give my honest review about the brand and be able to help others who are in the same situation.

My dermatologist retired when coronavirus hit, so I stopped taking care of my skin the way I used to. I didn’t see a point since I had to wear a mask anyways. After my move to Orlando, FL last summer and being in a completely different atmosphere than what I’m used to, my skin hated me for it and showed no mercy. The before and after pictures are not so good, meaning my skin was gorgeous before my move after it showed all the stress I went through.

I had stumbled across Curology a few times via Instagram ads, but never really looked into it until this past December. I did their free trial and fell in love with it. In my first box I received a really cute lip balm, a moisturizer, my own formula cream, a cleanser, emergency spot patches, and a body wash for acne.

1. The lip balm is something I use every single day along with my skincare items. I have the vanilla flavor and it’s really light and feels good on my lips. The boxing is also pretty cool because the lip balm itself is in a rectangular-shaped container and you move a lever to push it out.
  1. The moisturizer is where the money is at. Before this I struggled to find a moisturizer that didn’t make my already oily skin even oilier. This is the lightest moisturizer ever, and it makes my skin feel like porcelain afterwords. A little goes along way and I only use one pump of it twice a day, and it also lasts a pretty long time too. This has to be my favorite product from them.
  2. When you’re signing up for the subscription, the website makes sure that they are catering to your needs. I am mainly worried about redness and my pimples, basic acne. I told them what worked and what didn’t work previously, so of course I am on some of the same things I was before. The cream is super lightweight, which is great, and never makes my skin burn. That’s something I love, my skin not burning after applying it! I apply it every single night and it also has a moon on it to remind me that it’s for nightly use only.
  3. The cleanser is such an amazing product. I thought I had a favorite cleanser previously, but Curology’s cleanser knocked it out of the park with theirs. Like all of their other products, it’s super lightweight and I feel like it strips the dirt and oils off my skin that aren’t supposed to be there, but leaves the natural oils that are good for my skin. My face never feels empty afterwards, but it feels refreshed and clean. Thankful is an understatement.
  4. Emergency spot patches are the best thing that has been created in years. For starters, you can never tell that it’s on your skin so they really make sure to use the invisible technology that most brands try to use with their spot patches. It’s a great way to stop me from popping the pesky pimple, or messing with it in general. I will 100% be ordering this in my next box because they are lifesavers.
  5. Last but not least is the body wash for acne. I didn’t really have an opinion on this one, but it isn’t one that I have ordered again. I do struggle with acne on my back but I don’t think that this product was helping. It definitely did not make it worse, so that’s a plus. I would recommend trying it since the first box is free, however!

I personally am going to keep going with Curology. I send an update once a week to my dermatologist that they matched me with, and if I have any questions she sends me so much advice on it. It’s nice not having to risk going into an office or driving all the way back home to see another dermatologist at my old location. It’s very quick, easy, and simple.

Sophia Martin

South Carolina '23

She is a senior Pre-Law and Advertising student and manages social media for a local Columbia brewery. She loves hanging out with her friends, walks with her dog Ryder, and is your go-to person for all things Zodiac!