What You Need To Be Doing This Weekend at USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

After spending a year in Boston, sometimes I feel like there is never enough to do in our beloved Cola. Lucky for us, this weekend brings plenty of sunshine, festivals, and sporting events! There’s something for everyone, so there are no excuses to be cooped up inside all weekend!

Friday 4/8

It’s On Us Kickball Tournament

2:00 p.m., Greene Street Fields

Great for: Kickball and sport enthusiasts, Collegiettes wanting to give back

Omega Phi Alpha will be hosting the It’s On US Kickball Tournament to raise money for Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands. The event will start at 2:00 p.m. with an opportunity to learn more about the It’s On Us Campaign. There will be two brackets, one beginning at 2:00 p.m. and the other at 4:00 p.m. Teams must be made of University of South Carolina students that have been registered and paid for ($20 per team) online by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 6th.

Tai Chi Class

4:30 – 5:30 p.m., Horseshoe

Great for: Health and meditation enthusiasts, Collegiettes interested in other cultures

Kick off your weekend with a free Tai Chi Class! It is hosted by the Confucius Institute at USC and will repeat every Tuesday and Friday in April. The Mayo Clinic describes tai chi as “a gentle way to relieve stress,” which is perfect for this busy time of the year!

Saturday 4/9

Spring for a Cure

7:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Life Care Center of Columbia

Great for: Zumba enthusiasts, Collegiettes wanting to give back

Support the American Cancer Society at this free event! Activities include a yard sale, Zumba, and food vendors!

Cayce Festival of the Arts

9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Brookland-Cayce High School

Great for: Art enthusiasts

This event is free! Vendor booths include local artists, clothing and accessories designers, and woodworkers. Food vendors will be present as well.

Quench World Cup

11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Strom Fields 1-3

Great for: Soccer and sport enthusiasts, Collegiettes wanting to give back

The International Business Fraternity Sigma Omega Upsilon will be hosting its 3rd annual Quench World Cup to raise awareness for the World Water Crisis. All proceeds benefit NPO Quench.

Love Peace & Hip Hop Festival

11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Main Street and Laurel Street

Great for: Hip hop and music enthusiasts

This is a free event, with special guests including KRS-One, ColorBlind, and the Down South Company Dancers! More information about this festival and its surrounding activities can be found at the event home page.

Spring Football Game

12:00 p.m., Williams Brice Stadium

Great for: Football and sport enthusiasts

Yes, it is finally time for the Garnet & Black Spring Game! The event is free and you do not need to claim a ticket. Just remember to bring your Carolina Card! Free parking is available in the Key Road lot starting at 7:30 a.m., and for $10 a vehicle you can park in the Gamecock Park and Fairgrounds lots at 8:00 a.m. Gamecock Village opens at 9:30 a.m., and the stadium gates open at 10:30 a.m. Students have the opportunity to meet by Gate 51 and lead the team on the field for “2001.” After the game, you will have a chance to meet several notable alumni and get autographs! Going to the game gets you 1 reward point, and staying until the end gives you the chance to win two tickets in the coach’s suite for the ECU game.

River Rocks Music Festival

12:00 p.m., Esplanade at Canalside, Canalside Street

Great for: Music lovers, foodies (and drinkies). Artist line-up can be found here.

Beer and Chocolate Pairing: Swamp Cabbage Brewery

6:00 – 9:00 p.m., Swamp Cabbage Brewery

Great for: Collegiettes looking for a fun night out

For our collegiettes over 21, Swamp Cabbage Brewery will be hosting a beer and chocolate pairing Saturday night. Tickets are $16 and seats must be reserved in advance. It’s guaranteed to be a fun night out!

The Blue Bash & Dash

5:00 – 7:00 p.m., Autism Academy

Great for: Collegiettes wanting to give back, Running enthusiasts

The Autism Academy of South Carolina will be hosting a free carnival with games and food trucks at its location on Blanding Street. If you would like to participate in the “Dash” from Blanding Street to Spirit Communications Park and back, the cost is $25.00 and you must register online prior to the event. All proceeds benefit the Autism Academy as a part of Autism Awareness Month!

Sunday 4/10

Old McCaskill’s Farm Spring Shearing Day

1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Old McGaskill’s Farm

Great for: Agriculture enthusiasts, Animal lovers, Collegiettes wanting a day trip

If you’re up for an adventure, Old McGaskill’s Farm in Rembert, South Carolina will be having it’s annual Spring Shearing Day this Sunday. This event will allow the public to see a working farm, including the sheep shearing, border collies, blacksmith, and saw and grits mills. Admission is $5 per person.

All Weekend 4/8-4/10

Russell House Movie Screenings: “Carol” and “Dirty Grandpa”

6:00 and 9:00 p.m. each night this weekend, Russell House Theater

Great for: Movie lovers, Collegiettes planning a date night or girls’ night out

This weekend, Carolina Productions will be showing “Carol” at 6:00 p.m. and “Dirty Grandpa” at 9:00 p.m. This event is free and open to all USC students with a Carolina Card. “Carol” is a romantic drama described by IMDb as “An aspiring photographer develops an intimate relationship with an older woman.” “Dirty Grandpa” came out earlier this year and stars Zac Efron and Robert De Niro. It’s a comedy about a man who is tricked into driving his grandfather to Florida during Spring Break (IMDb).

H + T in P (Hamlet and Tusenbach in Purgatory)

6:30 and 8:30 p.m. on Friday and 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, Center for Performance Experiment

Great for: Theatre enthusiasts, Collegiettes with an appreciation for the arts

This is a free play (with donations accepted) put on by the University of South Carolina Department of Theatre & Dance and Pacific Performance Project/East. The Department of Theatre & Dance describes it as “Shakespeare’s Hamlet and Chekhov’s Tusenbach encounter epic loves.”

Gamecock Baseball

7:00 p.m. Friday, 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Carolina Baseball Stadium

Great for: Baseball and sport enthusiasts

Come out and support your Gamecocks as they take on Tennessee this weekend! Tickets should be claimed online and each game is worth 1 reward point.

Men’s Tennis

5:00 p.m. on Friday and 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, Carolina Tennis Center

Great for: Tennis and sport enthusiasts

Your Men’s Tennis team will be taking on Auburn on Friday and Florida on Sunday. Bring your Carolina Card for free entry and receive 1 reward point per game!

Indie South Fair

11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 701 Whaley

Great for: Art enthusiasts

According to the event’s Facebook page, the event will be composed of a variety of artists and vintage curators from around the southeast.

Cassie Sobers

South Carolina

Cassie is a Management and Marketing major at the University of South Carolina. She is an outgoing and adventurous person, and an avid runner. When she is not writing for Her Campus or training for a race, you can find her browsing Pinterest for a creative project to tackle, reading a good book, or cooking a delicious meal.
SC Contributor

South Carolina