What I Learned After Going a Week Without a Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

After dropping my IPhone 6 in the toilet, and then dropping my IPhone 5 on the ground so hard that the home button fell off, I became phoneless for nearly a week. Not only did I survive, it ended up actually being a valuable experience! Here’s what I learned…

1. You can still function without social media.

After my friends got tired of me stealing their phones to log on to my Instagram and Snapchat, I realized I would be perfectly fine if I missed out on a couple stories and pictures.

2. There’s a sense of freedom in not having to check your phone all the time.

Even if we don’t seem to realize it, answering messages and checking all types of notifications can be stressful, and not having to worry about this was SO relaxing.

3. It’s much easier to fall asleep without a phone to distract you.

I realized that I was able to fall asleep without scrolling through my entire Instagram feed first, and at a decent hour. Who knew getting an actual eight hours of sleep could feel so good?!

4. You have so much more free time.

Losing my phone made me realize how much time I waste on it, and how there are so many other ways to better spend my time. 

Elaine Declasp

South Carolina

SC Contributor

South Carolina