Life > Experiences

Trying the Sleep Mocktail that is all over Tik Tok: Does it help you sleep better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

For the past few weeks, I’ve been seeing what many are calling the “Sleepy Girl Mocktail” all over Tik Tok. As someone who has sleep apnea and has trouble sleeping, I wanted to try it and see if it actually works.

I went to get the ingredients and all you needed was any flavor of Poppi sodas, tart cherry juice, and magnesium complex powder.

Before doing this I did my research on Tik Tok to see what other people were saying about it. Many were saying that it really helped them sleep and that it tasted good. Some people did go on and say to use a certain type of magnesium like magnesium complex.

When I was going into this experience, I had high hopes that this mocktail would work for me. The first night, I added ice to a cup and eyeballed how much cherry juice and Doc Pop Poppi to put in. The only magnesium complex I could find in the store were capsules, so I opened the capsule and poured one in. I stirred the mixture and it looked unappetizing, but I was still willing to give it a shot. I can see why people said that the drink was good, but it wasn’t my cup of tea because the Poppi sodas seem too sweet for my liking. I drank the whole cup while I was getting ready for bed. I didn’t think that it worked. I slept as I normally would, and I didn’t feel any difference in my sleep.

I did the same thing the next day, and I did not have any hope that this would work. I mixed the cherry juice, Original Cola Poppi, and one capsule of magnesium complex. I liked the taste of the Cola Poppi with the drink better than the Doc Pop. I felt that it was less sweet, and it tasted more like Dr. Pepper. I drank it while planning for the next day and I noticed that I actually didn’t get tired at all. I ended up doing some schoolwork until I noticed that it was one in the morning. I went to bed and had a night of sleep that I normally would.

Overall, I don’t think that the “Sleepy Girl Mocktail” does anything to help with my sleeping. Maybe I did something wrong when trying it out so take this with a grain of salt. I didn’t noticed any difference and I wouldn’t try it again, but if it works for you, do your thing.

Julia Avitabile

South Carolina '26

Julia Avitabile is the vice president of Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. She is also a writer for Her Campus at South Carolina. She organizes meetings and partnerships for Her Campus at South Carolina. She also writes articles for Her Campus at South Carolina regularly. Julia is currently a sophomore at the University of South Carolina majoring in Elementary Education. In her free time, Julia likes to read, watch movies, and hang out with friends and family. She loves playing card games and supporting her siblings in all of their accomplishments.