Trader Joe’s Flowers: What’s the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Every social media influencers’ Trader Joe’s Haul includes this one item: flowers. But what makes these flowers so great that they are almost unanimously beloved?

Trader Joe’s flower selection is a diverse array of products, ranging from roses, peonies, hydrangeas, tulips, as well as seasonal bouquets. TJ’s tulips, available in a multitude of brilliant colors and are especially popular in the springtime.

These flowers are also significantly underpriced compared to buying from a florist. According to the Trader Joe’s Website, the current price for a dozen roses is $9.99. Compare this price to a local florist in Columbia, SC, whose price is $95. This local florist is a convenient 10 minute walk from campus, but the price is not college-student friendly. In fact, TJ’s most expensive flower option currently listed online is the Phalaenopsis Orchid priced at just $14.99.

The wide selection to choose from coupled with the relatively cheap prices mean that customers can create their own flower arrangements. By combining the specialty flowers with fillers like baby’s breath or greenery, people can experiment with height and dimension. The creativity this involves makes switches buying flowers from an item on a shopping list to a gratifying afternoon activity.

Are They really worth it?

It’s no secret that many people today are trying to reduce the amount of money they spend at the grocery store. With high prices, it can seem risky to purchase an unnecessary item like flowers. 

Trader Joe’s provides guides and articles on their website that teach consumers things like how to create arrangements and tips on how to prevent the flowers from dying prematurely. Resources like these can help justify purchasing flowers as ways to reduce waste and make your purchase last is prioritized.

My testimony

I’m also a Trader Joe’s flower fanatic. This is the item I’m most excited to pick up when I shop there and it’s a pleasant surprise to see the changing selection every trip. I find that my purchases usually last about two weeks, which is perfect because I don’t shop at TJ’s weekly and so I don’t have to make special trips just for them.

They are truly a great option for college students shopping on a budget, but also those who want to treat themselves to something beautiful. A small vase of flowers can brighten and add life to your cramped dorm room or apartment. 

Plus, because they are relatively cheap, it makes a great present for a friend. For around the same price as a latte, you can surprise a friend with some Trader Joe’s flowers. 

Happy (almost) spring everyone!

Grace Wilson

South Carolina '25

Grace is the senior editor for Her Campus at The University of South Carolina. There, she writes and edits articles weekly and enjoys working with the team of creative and empowered women. Beyond Her Campus, she is a junior at the University of South Carolina, majoring in English with mass communications and law studies minors. Grace is passionate about using her writing skills as a tool to make a positive impact and enjoys volunteering in her community. In her free time, Grace enjoys practicing yoga, baking snickerdoodles, and watching figure skating. As an out-of-state student, she has explored SC by going on walks while listening to Taylor Swift.