Top 5 Movies to Get You Through Another Single Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you are like some of us, this year’s Valentine’s Day will be yet another consisting of chocolate, sweatpants, and of course, Netflix. Instead of sadly reflecting on how you are not spending this Hallmark holiday with a significant other, curl up with your other single besties and watch these any (or all) of these five movies to get you through.

The Notebook

Of course, there’s no way we could do an article like this and not start it off with this Nicholas Sparks classic. If you want to have a good cry, get your tissues ready because this is the Valentine’s Day movie for you.

The Proposal

If you are a comedy kind of person, The Proposal is the movie for you. With Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock as the leads in this rom-com, you’ll forget all about the burden of being alone and spending all of your Valentine’s Day laughing. 

Set it Up

Although it is not as well known, this Netflix original is one of my personal favorites. Not only does this movie have an interesting plot, but it also is very humorous and has a diverse cast. This movie has one of the cliche storylines we have all been waiting for. 

Bridget Jones’s Diary

Bridget Jones’s Diary is yet another rom-com that we recommend, only this time you will find yourself relating to Bridget in several ways. As she faces the pressure of being a lonely single with relatives constantly asking about her love life, this rom-com will for sure get you through being alone on Valentine’s Day.

Easy A

To close this article with the fifth and final movie, we decided to end things with one of our all-time favorites– Easy A. This movie takes a twist on the classic novel “The Scarlet Letter”. Although there is some romance, Easy A is for the most part empowering and just what you need for a single Valentine’s Day.

With that, a few honorable mentions include 10 Things I Hate About You, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, and Say Anything.

Ashley Flint

South Carolina '23

I am a journalism major at the University of South Carolina. I used to do competitive dance up until coming to college and I'm also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. I love my two dogs and am a coffee addict and am always down to binge watch Netflix.
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!