Wellness

The Unexpected Benefits of Changing Your Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The biggest attitude-changer I’ve been able to implement in my life from freshman to senior year is a morning routine. While I know many of you simply cringe at the thought of a somewhat-cohesive morning, I can guarantee it will change your whole day around. Three years ago, I would never consider myself a morning person. I was a night owl through and through, until about a year ago. I slowly created a morning routine for myself that I genuinely look forward to, making waking up in the morning — dare I say — exciting. Not every morning looks the same, but here are the non-negotiables:

set an intention for the day

It’s become all too easy to wake up and immediately check your phone for emails or texts. This automatically sets you up to be stressed and consumed in technology for the rest of the day. Instead, let yourself have the first few minutes that you wake up to yourself. Whether this means a few deep breaths, reading inspirational writing, journaling, or meditating, you will unintentionally get yourself excited for the day. Your actions will be better aligned with your values and you won’t spend the day stressed out about all of the tasks that you need to complete.

Eat Breakfast

I am rarely a breakfast person, especially right after I wake up. But, I’ve found that making myself a coffee or matcha latte makes me feel productive. There’s nothing more exciting than using your favorite new pumpkin creamer and those trendy glass straws to make your morning iced coffee right? Make yourself a simple bowl of cereal or Instagram-worthy avocado toast — either way, you’re going to feel better than if you didn’t.

Practice Self-Care

To be completely honest, one of the things that I look forward to most when I wake up is self-care. Whether that be doing my skincare, taking a shower, or picking out an outfit, it automatically sets a productive tone for my day. Making my bed each morning is something that I also consider “self-care” — it’s the first step in checking things off of your to-do list.

A productive morning routine can reduce stress, boost your energy levels, and improve your productivity at school or work. How you spend your morning sets the tone for your entire day, so why not start it off on the right foot?

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.