Personal Safety Tips for College Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Having fun and going out is a huge part of college life. For most teenagers, it’s their first time having so much freedom. However, that can’t distract you from staying safe and being self-aware. Unfortunately, in this society, teenage girls are extremely vulnerable to kidnapping and abduction. This is why nearly all girls are taught to be cautious and careful starting from an early age. I am a huge advocate for personal safety and am always looking out for my friends while going out, so below are a few of my tips on how to stay safe. 

Always Tell Your Family/Friends Where you are

Let your loved ones know your location before leaving a place, or at least have your location ON so they know where to look for you. This is especially important when you don’t know the person who you are going out with very well, for example, on a Tinder date. 

Taser, Personal Alarm, Pepper Spray, or Your Keys

To always be on the safe side, try to carry some sort of weapon to defend yourself with. If you find yourself without any, try holding your keys between your fingers with the sharp edges pointing out. 

Walk in Groups and In the Light

Avoid dark, shortcut allies and isolated places. Always try to stay in groups and don’t lose your way with the crowd. Look for building lights and light posts to stay visible. 

Call or Fake Call Someone

This is probably the oldest trick in the book, but it works. If you’re alone and feel uncomfortable in any situation, call someone in order to have backup if something is to go wrong. If you don’t have anyone to call, pretend to call someone anyways to make yourself less vulnerable as a target. 

“Be Weird, Be Rude, Stay Alive”

My fellow Crime Junkie lovers know what I am talking about. Don’t be afraid to sound disrespectful or crazy when your life could be at risk. If some man won’t take a “no” for an answer and makes you feel unsafe — bark in his face, make alien noises, or scream at the top of your lungs. Do anything to bring attention to yourself or scare him off, because your life and well-being should always be a priority.

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!