Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

The Side Hustle of Being a Pet Owner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

There is no doubt that most people love animals — cats and dogs can be irresistible at times. For the most part, the majority of kids grow up with some kind of pet, but what happens when those kids grow up and move out? Finally legal adults, college kids are able to do just about anything now, including getting their own furry friend. There’s not much stopping these freshly legal students from going out and getting a pet of their own. In hindsight, it sounds like a great idea. Being able to save a live and gaining a companion of your own is not without its perks, but what about the downsides?

risks of owning a fur baby

Of course, adopting any animal is a noble act, but are college kids really the most equipped for the job? While this does not apply to all college kids with a pet of their own, the truth of the matter is that the majority of students do not have the time or financial backings to support a pet. Being a college student is a demanding role — classes can eat away our entire day, which leaves the fur babies to sit inside for potentially hours on end. Not only are students occupied during the day, but an enormous part of college life is socializing. This usually leads to most students’ nights being occupied as well. A lot of people do not realize just how much work a pet can be — dogs in particular require physical and mental stimulation that sometimes does not align with a student’s schedule. 

On top of making time for your pet, you have to make sure they are supported, happy and healthy. Pet products can be hundreds of dollars, and these purchases are ones that, at times, must be repurchased, like food, grooming supplies and toys. That does not even cover the veterinary expenses, which also can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars. These are all just the bare minimum of necessities to ensure any animal has a content life. Adopting a pet is a more serious task than many assume. Sure, it may seem like you saved a life, but did you really if the animal ends up alone for hours without the assurance of food and medical treatment? If you are equipped and have the time to rescue, then more power to you — but don’t adopt an animal just to re-home it a few months later. At the end of the day, each dog and cat deserve a loving environment where they can live out their lives.

Allison Mischel

South Carolina '25

Allison Mischel is the senior editor at Her Campus’s South Carolina Chapter. Her role is to oversee submitted articles and make necessary changes if needed! Allison is currently a junior at the University of South Carolina majoring in English. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing following her undergraduate education. In past years Allison had experience writing/editing for various publications as well freelance experience. In her free time Allison enjoys reading, hiking, going to local coffee shops and hanging out with friends!