Wellness > Health

The Power of Probiotics: Healing From the Inside-Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you’re like most people in their twenties, you’ve probably never thought too much about gut health. It wasn’t until I realized the potential of our gut that I began to take it seriously. Three years ago, as a freshman trying to balance my health and well-being (while also eating off of a meal plan), I started to do my research. No matter how healthy I ate or how active I was, it still felt like my immune system was fighting harder than it should have been. This was until I discovered the power of probiotics…

Pro-what?

Probiotic supplements are essentially “good” bacteria that have health benefits when taken in certain doses. Probiotics can help improve gut health and digestion, as well as reduce inflammation. Gut health and digestion are common reasons people take probiotics, but they can also help with skin conditions, weight loss, and overall immunity.

The Brain-Gut relationship

Our gut health is crucial for our overall health and well-being. The gut is home to approximately 70% of the body’s immune system, which means that a healthy gut is essential for a strong immune system. As a college student, our immune systems are bound to be compromised, which is why probiotics became a “must” in my life. Our gut bacteria also plays a role in mental health, with studies proving that they can influence mood and behavior.

Where to find them

Probiotics can be found in fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, yogurt, kimchi and cottage cheese. They can also be taken in supplement form. Here are a few of my favorite ways to get my daily-dose of probiotics:

• OLLY’s Prebiotic and Probiotic Gummy
  • Lifeway’s Plain Kefir (add honey!)
  • GoodBelly’s Probiotic Juice
Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.