Student Reaction To Huffington Post’s Removed Article Telling Girls To Cover Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

*The opinions in this article are from a student’s perspective and do not reflect views of HCSC

This article is in response to the Huffington Post’s article, “Young Ladies of the SEC, Cover Up.” After recieving backlash, the article was taken down from their site, but it can still be found on Saturday Down South.

“Right off the bat I want to make it clear that I am all for portraying yourself in a classy light and, I do agree that dressing modestly is a great thing to do, IF IT’S WHAT YOU LIKE. The author of this article basically says that all the college girls in the SEC specifically dress inappropriately to football games. Well NEWS FLASH—gamedays in the south can run up to 100 degrees sometimes. The first thing on my “to buy” list for game days is not the scarf and t-shirt that the author recommends as an appropriate outfit. My black dress and cowboy boots are not tasteless. I don’t care if it has spaghetti straps and isn’t finger tip length, because I am not in high school anymore. I am 20 years old. I can dress how I want. And to answer your question, yes, my mom does know what my friends and I wear and guess what, she thinks that we look cute, not trashy.

If a girl wants to wear something that shows off her curves, so be it. If a girl wants to wear stilettos, so be it. Who is this woman, or anyone else for that matter, to judge what anyone wears to a football game? If you think that these “images” of college girls in short shorts are going to corrupt your child, then I hope you don’t give him access to a TV or the Internet. The outfits I see on gameday are no different than what I see in commercials on a regular basis. If you don’t want your child’s “little eyes” viewing the way girls dress to a football game AT HER SCHOOL, then that’s your problem and not that of the girl in the outfit. Maybe you should try taking your kid to a peewee game.

Women all over the country are fighting to make the way women dress and their value as a human not be dependent on one another. This article is literally just agreeing that if you dress in a way that is deemed provocative, you are immediately lesser. You are classless and tasteless. I just can’t agree with that logic.

Oh, and, while the author absolutely does not approve the outfits worn to the game, she does recommend trying to “sneak in a flask or two” into the stadium. Now personally, I think that my dress being too short for someone’s liking is a whole lot less serious than underage drinking and sneaking alcohol into a football stadium. I’ve never heard of anyone getting arrested over a tank top. But hey, that’s just me and everyone is warranted their own opinion.”

Alex is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is an avid napper, a lover of guacamole and an Office enthusiast.
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.