This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The shame associated with mental illness is not necessarily in having a disorder, but instead in feeling the need to hide it from others. The University of South Carolina Student Government has come together to break the silence. In an effort to encourage mental health in the student body and quiet the shame and prejudice, the organization has instilled Stigma Free USC Week. A week dedicated to recognizing the effects of mental health and starting a campus-wide conversation about it. The week will include events each day to bring awareness to a topic that is so many times ignored. 

Check out what Stigma Free week will look like at UofSC!

Let the Games Begin!

Beginning Monday, September 24, with The Amazing Race @ 2:30 p.m., students are encouraged to participate in a campus-wide scavenger hunt. Starting at the Russel House Patio Stage, students will be prompted on learning to thrive on campus. Within the hunt, participants will discover a wide variety of services and resources in support of mental health at the university.

On Tuesday, September 25, a candlelight vigil will be held for students who have committed suicide. Beginning at 5 p.m. at the Rutledge Chapel, students will be remembered and a discussion regarding the significance of mental health will be conducted. Light will be shed on ways to identify signs of psychological stress in order to detect it in others.

Wednesday, September 26, kicks off at 9:30 a.m. with a Body Positive Barre & Meditation Class! Upon arrival at Davis Field, students will be encouraged to reflect and celebrate their bodies. Instructors will highlight the significance of body movement as well as being mindful during these exercises. Awareness will be raised about the danger of eating disorders and the harm of body image problems.

To continue with the support of body positivity, on Thursday, September 27, there will be a “Diets Don’t Work” cooking demonstration. Beginning at 5 p.m., the demonstration will take place at the Center for Health and Wellbeing Demonstration Kitchen. Key aspects of the presentation will be that despite eating a “healthy diet” society must bring into focus the importance of nutrients. Students will learn how to make delicious recipes, plan healthy meals and identify dysfunctional eating practices. What many people fail to realize is that eating habits impact one’s mental health. Thus, it is essential to recognize eating disorders and when to seek help.

To end the week, Friday, September 28, they will conclude with a Mindfulness Walk On the Horseshoe. This will begin at 10 a.m., next to the Gamecock in front of Russell. Students will take a guided walk that centers on self-care and the practice of mindfulness. Stress management coordinator, Justina Siuba, will lead the way and place emphasis on the reduction of stress.

To register for the following events, or find more information head over to www.stigmafreeusc.com

Hannah Loback

South Carolina '20

Hi! My name is Hannah Loback. I am currently a junior at USC Columbia. I am a psychology major and passionate vegan who thrives on books and the classic horror film.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.