4 Ways To Stay Active As A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

With a full schedule of classes it can be difficult to find time to prioritize getting a workout in every once in a while. Let’s face it, even if you can find the time, going to the gym can be intimidating! Here are some easy ways to start incorporating more movement into your busy college lifestyle.

Find an exercise that you enjoy

I get it, going to the gym can feel like a full event. From planning what to wear to figuring out how to use the equipment (and let’s not forget the gym anxiety), going to the gym can be overwhelming. Good news, not all exercise has to revolve around the gym! Unless you enjoy heading to the weight room like I do sometimes, you can find a way to stay in shape that doesn’t require deadlifts and sumo squats. Check out fitness classes such as yoga and Zumba! And if group classes aren’t for you, you can turn to a solo activity such as swimming or going for an inclined walk on the treadmill.

walk! walk! walk!

I know it can be tempting to gravitate towards your car keys every time you need to run a simple errand, but opting to walk can be an easy way to sneak movement into your lifestyle. Walking is easy on your joints and can be an attainable workout to start out with if you are new to exercise. When planning out your day, cut out more time in your schedule to allow yourself to walk to your classes, errands, and activities. If you absolutely need to drive, try to leave some room in your day to listen to a podcast and take a walk around campus to get some extra movement in.

INCORPORATE movement into your social life

The next time you and your friends are bored and looking for something to do, why not turn to exercise? Okay, I get it, exercising doesn’t exactly sound like the most interesting activity, but it can be when the right activity is chosen! You and your friends can check out a new workout class together, go for a hike, or take some time exploring your surroundings on a long walk. You can even sneak in a few rounds of Just Dance on your Mario Kart game night!

when in doubt, head to youtube

If you are pressed on time, Youtube can easily double as a personal trainer. Youtube offers a variety of at-home workouts that range from pilates to dancing to plank challenges. It is the easiest way to find a workout that works for you in terms of intensity and workout length. You can even find some dorm room-friendly workout videos!

Although staying active is important, it is just as important to make sure you are getting active in a way that you enjoy! There is nothing worse than spending an hour in the gym forcing yourself to do sprints if you are someone like me who despises treadmills! College can be stressful, so focus less on sticking to a strict gym routine and focus more on incorporating movement in ways that work best for you!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.