Stand in Your Power – Her Conference 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

This summer, I attended Her Conference in New York City, a networking and career development event for college women and recent graduates. Before attending, I knew very little about this conference, so I was presently surprised by the amount of knowledge I gained. We were able to listen to speakers from the acting industry like Aisha Dee and Logan Browning to Glamour Editor in Chief, Samantha Barry. I knew this event would be powerful, but I had no idea just how life altering their words would be, nor did I know I would leave each day feeling more empowered than ever to achieve my dreams. 

While there were several different keynote speakers and sessions to attend, the one that stood out to me the most was with Dr. Lauren Hazzouri, a licensed psychologist and founder of The Practice. The title of this session was called, The Ceremony with Dr. Lauren, and since there wasn’t much else to the description, I wasn’t entirely sure what the discussion would be about, but I thought I’d give it a try, and I’m so thankful that I did. She was so helpful and inspiring on topics regarding stress, pressure and overall wellness. 

Picture a pretty, blonde woman with a long flowing black dress on, dancing around a room and clapping to a punk rock song, and you’ll be picturing Dr. Lauren at Her Conference. As my sister and I sat there watching, we weren’t sure what we’d gotten ourselves into, but as the session started and Dr. Lauren began her discussion on who she was and what her role is as a psychologist, we were put at ease. Not only did she have this innate way of speaking, but she was also able to connect with each one of us on the deepest level possible. As she spoke about the struggles of women in our society to fit in with social norms, and the pressures we put on ourselves to be the best, I felt like she was talking directly to me. 

Recently, I’ve been struggling with comparison and self-esteem. I’ve had days where my heart hasn’t been into the grind of trying for perfection, and days when I wished I looked like or had the qualities of someone else. After listening to Dr. Lauren, I realized that all those little insecurities and doubts we have about ourselves shouldn’t be there. Every negative thought or perception that we have about ourselves from, “I’m not good enough,” to “I’m not pretty enough,” stems from a long line of what society has deemed correct. Who said you’re not good enough? Who gave you the idea of what ‘good enough’ is? It was enlightening to hear that I’m not alone in these thoughts, but also that those feelings I have aren’t a valid use of my time. As human beings, we decide for ourselves what good enough is. We forge our own paths and destinations. Look deep within yourself to find that courage to say “I am good enough.” 

If you don’t already follow Dr. Lauren on Instagram, I suggest that you do. Her positive and go-get-it attitude is something everyone needs in their lives, and with the amount of time we spend on social media, having that encouraging post on your feed will be a welcomed change. She’s as open as they come and will give you advice and answer questions ranging from her thoughts on social media to relationship struggles. I left her session this weekend with a full heart, open to new adventures and challenges. At the end of her talk, she said something that has stuck with me, “Stand in your power.” This phrase grabbed the attention of everyone in the room and truly encompassed what Her Conference was all about. 

In short, Her Conference was all about inspiring women to be the best they can be in the workplace and beyond, and I definitely left feeling like I could conquer the world. Thank you to all the amazing speakers that came out and to Her Campus for giving me the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and better than I could have ever imagined. 

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.