Style > Decor

Spring Crafts for the Young and Bored at Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Looking for some fun crafts to do with your family or friends this lovely Spring 2022? Then this is the article for you! Here are my top 3 favorite crafts that I’ve done with my friends and family throughout the years:

Cement Mosaic

Whether you’ve never heard of them or you saw them on the aisles as a child, cement mosaics are an extremely fun DIY craft for you and your friends! You can buy the kits at many local craft stores such as Micheal’s and then easily follow the instructions to create beautiful works of art for your room or outdoor living areas!

My favorite thing to do with the artwork is the place the glass or marbles along the outer border (typically in a rainbow orientation or color-coordinated), leaving the center of the cement art piece clear. In this center section, I either place mine or a loved one’s handprint, or a brief quote or the year/season!

No matter what you choose to do with your own cement mosaic, it will be absolutely beautiful and is a must-try craft in the Spring season!

Gardening Fun

What better time to get crafty with gardening than the beginning of Spring! Though it’s on the easier side, this craft never fails to brighten up your day and liven up any time you’re spending with friends or family.

The best part: You need very few, easy-to-find supplies for this craft. Head to your local Walmart and pick up some standard 2 or 4-inch flower pots, paints, and paintbrushes. Lastly, you’ll pick out your choice of plant, either soil, and seeds, or a potted plant that you can re-pot to your finished design!

Once you have all the supplies, all that’s left is to get creative and get painting with whatever strikes your fancy!

Face Plant GIF by Jef Caine - Find & Share on GIPHY
Yolk Around with Egg Painting!

This last craft can be done multiple different ways, some of which are harder than others. Painting eggs is an extremely fun and classic craft for people of all ages, but I have found that it can be a lot more fun when the eggs are a bit more permanent.

The easiest way to do this craft would be to buy some wooden eggs from either Amazon or Micheal’s to paint. The more difficult, and sometimes more fun, way would be to purchase actual eggs. To do this in a permanent manner, rather than the eggs you paint as a kid and throw away when they go bad, takes a careful hand. You would need to puncture a small hole in the top or bottom of your egg to drain the inner yolk membrane before painting the shell. Once fully drained, the shell is also very sensitive to breakage, so you must be very careful not to break your artwork!

Whichever “canvas” you choose to paint on, there are two different ways you can go about painting them. You can either take brushes and do a more standard artwork design on your egg, or you can do my personal favorite, and grab some nail dotting tools in assorted sizes to create a dotted artwork!

Whatever you choose to do, egg artwork is a great craft for Spring or Easter decorations to keep and take out for years to come!

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading through some of my favorite DIY Spring decorations and happy crafting!

Happy Easter Sunday GIF by Lisa Vertudaches - Find & Share on GIPHY
Taya Andrews

South Carolina '22

Currently a senior at the University of South Carolina working towards my English degree! I am so excited to be working as an editorial member for Her Campus South Carolina!