Wellness > Health

Skincare Tips that You Need to Follow this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Happy New Year! As we begin 2021, now is the perfect time to create new habits to follow for the foreseeable future. Following a proper skincare regimen is vital to keeping your face glowing and protected. I’ve listed a few of my favorite skincare tips below that are a must-try this year.

Use an ice roller in the AM.

Most of us have probably had our fair share of waking up with puffy faces in the morning. Incorporating an ice roller into your skincare routine will not only reduce puffiness immediately, but also shrinks your pores and reduces any redness you may have. I recommend using your roller after cleansing and moisturizing. Focus on your temples, jawline, cheeks, and (most importantly) your under-eye area. No matter your age, ice rolling will change your skincare routine for the better.

Always use a toner.

Until a year ago I never used a toner in my skincare routine, let alone even knew what they did. My skin has never looked better since starting to use one every day. After cleansing, there is always oil and debris left behind. Toner removes these remaining bits and pieces while shrinking your pores. They can also prevent your face from producing an excess of oil, which is perfect for my combination skin. I used the Glossier “solution” toner right after I get out of the shower and washing my face. It is extremely gentle and does not leave my face too dry, revealing a fresh complexion. 

Start using serums.

When used after a toner, a good serum is crucial to keep your skin absolutely glowing. There are serums for anything that you can imagine, made to handle all problems. They feel light on your skin, while protecting you and leaving your face smoother. The Ordinary brand has a large number of serums that you can use, either alone or together, to ensure gleaming skin.

Invest in Erno Laszlo’s “White Marble Essence Lotion.”

If you are going to splurge on an item in your skincare routine, this should be the one. It’s a light lotion that is a must-need for all skin types. After cleansing your face, you gently pat this lotion into your face until absorbed. It attracts and holds a glow-giving hydration, while simultaneously lightening and brightening. After only one week of use, I have noticed my freckles and acne scars are nearly invisible.

Try these tips while building your perfect skincare regimen. 

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.