XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Simple Skincare Tips to Improve Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

With the beauty and skincare industries evolving every day, it can be hard to decide what products or routines work best for our skin.  From blackhead vacuums to 24-karat gold face masks, nothing is off limits. It’s no wonder skincare can get confusing! We’ll give you some easy skincare tips and routine steps that are easy to try and won’t break the bank, whether you are a beginner or an expert!

• First, start with a gentle cleanser. If you haven’t tried micellar water yet, you might want to! It easily removes all makeup and it is extremely gentle— meaning it works for all skin types. It’s basically a makeup remover and cleanser all in one!  Other gentle cleansers that work well for everyday use include CeraVe’s Hydrating Facial Cleanser, or Cetaphil’s Daily Facial Cleanser.
  • Next, try a toner— toners help tighten your pores after cleansing, so if that is one of your problem areas then this step might help you greatly! There are tons of different toners on the market (like every skincare product), so make sure you do a little research to best accommodate your skin type. Common toner brands include Lancôme, Neutrogena, and Thayers.
  •  At this point, next in the routine would be an eye cream— which is optional, depending on your skin and its needs. Follow the eye cream with any treatments such as face masks or serums— again, these products in this step are all totally optional!
  • Next, seal in all of your hard work with a moisturizer. Again, there are thousands of moisturizers on the market, so it may take trying a couple here and there to find the perfect one for you.  Some great drugstore/affordable moisturizers include Pond’s Dry Skin Cream, Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Gel Moisturizer, and CeraVe’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion. Moisturizers help lock in all of the products that have been applied in your skincare routine and add moisture to your skin.
  • Lastly, don’t forget to care for those lips!  This is quite possibly the most overlooked step in any skincare routine, because it’s so minimal and easy to forget.  However, especially with colder weather on the way, it is essential to care for your lips.  Whether you use lip scrubs, lip masks, or just lip balm, adding this quick and easy step into your routine will make a difference in your lips.  Some great lip products include Carmex Classic Lip Balm, Aquaphor’s Lip Repair, and Burt’s Bees Lip Scrubs and Moisturizing Lip Balms.

Most importantly, make your skincare routine your own! Remember what works for some might not work for all.

Danielle Wallace

South Carolina '23

Hi there! I’m Danielle, a junior Journalism major at the University of South Carolina. I love cats, 2000’s music, and Juicy Couture tracksuits. I love all things pink, and you will never see me without my nails done. Xoxo!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.