This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Embarking on your college adventure is exciting, but it’s definitely not always smooth sailing. Resilience, the ability to tackle problems and keep a positive attitude, is your key for not just getting through the tough times but also growing as an individual.

In college, you’ll face many hurdles including challenging courses or receiving a lower grade than you may have predicted or prepared for. To become a resilient individual, you must train yourself to see these moments as opportunities to learn and improve rather than as negative. It’s important to understand that setbacks are not the end but a way to become better at what you do.

Handling friendships and relationships in college can be tricky as well. Navigating conflicts and resisting peer pressure will prove to be tough, but will also help you to begin to create a boundary where resilience can begin to grow. You can build a support system of friends they can lean on and know how to balance social life with academic success.

Time management is another college challenge, but resilient students excel at organizing their time, prioritizing tasks, and adapting when plans change.

Being emotionally strong is a crucial part. College can be stressful, but building resilience means taking care of yourself. Engage in activities that bring you joy, and develop healthy ways to cope with stress and tough emotions. This can include a bit of self care or just taking some time for yourself. It’s important to remember that rest is also an important key to productivity.

Resilience can transform your entire college experience. It’s not just about surviving; it’s about thriving. Resilient students become more adaptable, and better prepared for everything college may throw at them. Tough times become stepping stones to personal growth, making your college journey more fulfilling and successful.

So, as you dive into college life, remember that challenges are inevitable, but with resilience, you can turn them into opportunities. You’re not just getting through college – you’re growing through it, creating a stronger, more resilient version of yourself that will shape your future success and happiness.

Jade Thurman

South Carolina '25

My name is Jade Thurman. I am currently a junior at the University of South Carolina. I am a Mass Communications major and I also minor in African American studies. I enjoy reading, shopping, and being with friends. I joined Her Campus because I am very passionate about getting experience and learning how organizations like these work and grow, while also being able to be surrounded with hard-working, like-minded girls who share interests with me.