This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you have ever seen The Vampire Diaries, Degrassi, or a personal favorite movie of mine, Flatliners, then you know Nina Dobrev and that she has some serious acting skills. 

I started watching The Vampire Diaries when I was in third grade. I didn’t quite understand it since I was not exposed to a lot of movies and other TV shows, or grown-up talk even. The older I got, the more I watched The Vampire Diaries. As I am typing this I am seriously considering dropping all the shows I am currently watching just to rewatch one of my favorite shows ever. Now, what makes this show so great other than the infamous Damon Salvatore? It is definitely the acting strength all these actors have.

First off you have Elena Gilbert, played by none other than Dobrev. Elena is a high school student who lost both of her parents too young and then all of a sudden is exposed to creatures that were vampires. She is super whiny, like I used to love Elena but she makes me cringe so much. If an actress can make you hate someone they play, I consider them to have extraordinary talent. 

After Elena, well actually before, is Katarina Pierce. Most of us know her as Katherine and the super cringey way Elena says “Katherine” whenever she appears. She is also portrayed by Dobrev. Katherine has a lot of spunk, attitude, and no cares other than running and trying to stay safe. She will put anyone’s life at risk as long as it means she continues living her 500-something-year-old life. If one thing comes to mind when I think of Katherine is a bottle of red wine, and maybe some Louboutin’s. Dobrev did such a great job at portraying Katherine and all of her mean girl attitude moments, but she did that at the same time that she played “Poor little Elena,” as Katherine loves to say.

Onto our last dopplegänger, we have Amara. This girl is freaking crazy! To be fair though she was locked in a box for however many years. So basically we have Dobrev playing this super sweet and innocent girl, then she plays a strong woman who rarely shows her fears, and lastly we meet Amara who is literally just insane and ready to die. To be completely fair though, when you have lived that long I can only imagine that you are ready to be done with the twenty-first century.

I feel like Dobrev has definitely owned all three of these roles. Not only did she portray all of these characters in just one series, she is able to continue acting and adding to her long list of filmography–separating herself from these three women. She might be Elena, Katherine, and Amara in one show but she is the one and only Nina Dobrev. 

Sophia Martin

South Carolina '22

Sophia is an Advertising major who loves writing, her dog Ryder, chai lattes, and writing content. She is beyond excited to see where she can lead the South Carolina chapter as president.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.