This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Fall weather is right around the corner and if you’re anything like me, that means Halloween and fall movies galore. I have never been one to watch horror movies but instead I spend my spooky season watching throwbacks to my childhood favorites. Below, I have compiled a list of my top movies to get everyone in the Halloween and Fall Spirit.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.” Say it three times and the infamous spirit will come. After a couple dies suddenly in a car accident, they find their home sold to a new, obnoxious family with the wife played by Catherine O’ Hara. Although nobody else can see the ghosts of the couple, the daughter, played by Winona Ryder, can and develops a relationship with them. The couple wants the family gone. They summon Beetlejuice, played by Michael Keaton, to help them rid the house. It is a must watch for spooky season!

Practical Magic

“Always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.”

Pratical Magic

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman stars in this romantic movie about a family of witches who are cursed whenever they fall in love. Every person that they fall in love with is certain to die. One day, the two sisters find themselves having committed murder. Through this process one falls in love, but will she show her feelings even if it means death for him? This movie is the ultimate fall, cozy movie to watch set in a quiet town about witches and love.

You’ve Got Mail

Although You’ve Got Mail is not set during Halloween, it goes through all the seasons, majority of which is set in fall. I will watch this movie all year round, but especially when the air begins to get crisp. Two strangers, played by Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, are in different relationships and meet in an online chat room. They develop feelings for each other in person and the one they are talking to online. Majority of this movie is set in the cold months with fall foliage. It is the perfect cozy, fall movie.

Scream

Scream, the only “horror” movie on my list, although some may not call it one. Scream is a slasher movie set in the town of Woodsboro where an unknown masked person, by the name of Ghostface, murders teenagers. The leading actress, Neve Campbell, must try to stay alive and figure out who the mysterious masked man is along with other notable actors including Skeet Ulrich and Matthew Lillard.

halloween hookup horror stories?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

Hocus Pocus

I’m sure most of us have seen Hocus Pocus, but I couldn’t make this list without adding it. Set in Salem, Massachusetts, three witches rise from the dead on Halloween after the black flame candle is lit. Two teenagers and a younger sister must stop the Sanderson Sisters from making a permanent comeback to life before Halloween ends. It is the perfect family, Halloween movie!

Whether horror movies or childhood classics are your thing, the fall weather and Halloween movies are sure to get you in the spirit!

Amber Brown

South Carolina '26

Amber is an editorial member of the Her Campus South Carolina chapter. She writes articles every month best directed at other females giving advice, reviews, and sharing her opinions on all things college, South Carolina, entertainment, and lifestyle. Amber is a sophomore nursing student at the University of South Carolina from her home state of Maryland. She has a strong passion for helping children and infants so once she graduates with her BSN in the year 2026, she hopes to become a labor and delivery, pediatric, or NICU nurse in a hospital. When Amber is not with Her Campus, she has many passions and hobbies. She loves taking hot yoga classes, and hopes to one day become an instructor herself, hiking scenic trails that end in an overlook view, baking and cooking new recipes, and traveling. She has been vegetarian for 9 years and is a huge advocate of living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Amber is a huge movie fan, specifically those from the 80s and 90s, but she will always be up to date on the newest films in theatres. When the end of the year approaches and we have reached the fall and winter months, you will find many festive and seasonal articles from her as she loves to be in the spirit of the season.