person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Most Insta-Worthy Brunch Spots in Columbia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Brunch: bruh-n-tsh – The meal people eat in the (late) morning after a heavy night of drinking; usually attended by people who choose their meal based on how many likes it will get on Instagram.

In all seriousness, brunch is an extremely important part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, and it’s always necessary for any weekend occasion. So here are some of Columbia’s best brunch spots for any craving you may have, based on how good they are for your hangover and for your Instagram.

Publico Kitchen + Tap

Brunch like a champion today #BreakfastJook #SundayFunday #BrunchTime #Publico

A post shared by Publico, Kitchen & Tap (@publicotap) on

Among one of the newer hot spots for college students in Five Points, Publico is known for some pretty diverse food options. But it’s the brunch menu that you need to know about. Whether you opt for their frosted texas toast or their breakfast burger, you won’t leave disappointed (or hungry). Friendly tip – they only have brunch on Sundays! Also make sure to try some of their awesome drinks, in case you wanted to continue last night’s party.

Insta-worthiness: 5/5

Hangover friendliness: 3/5

Eggs Up Grill

A great brunch spot that offers breakfast and lunch all day…what else do you need? This place offers some classic diner vibes and has plenty of options to keep everyone satisfied. Make sure you wake up before 2 pm to get there before closing!

Insta-worthiness: 2/5

Hangover friendliness: 4/5

Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli

Getting crazy in the kitchen. Mixing Wild Berry and Bourbon Caramel. Come try and make your own madness!

A post shared by The Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli (@devinecinnamonrolldeli) on

If you don’t think that a restaurant devoted to cinnamon rolls isn’t one of the top ten most amazing things to exist, you should really finesse your palette. Not only do they have some insane cinnamon rolls, but their sandwiches are also to die for.

Insta-worthiness: 3/5

Hangover friendliness: 5/5

Famous Toastery

Nothing like some fresh hollandaise! Famous Toastery has several “Benny” options. Come try us out 7a-3pm, 119 Sparkleberry Ln.

A post shared by Famous Toastery (@famoustoasterycola) on

This place is a little bit of a trek, but it’s definitely worth the drive. It was nominated for having the best shrimp and grits in Columbia! So that’s basically the only invitation you need to go.

Insta-worthiness: 2/5

Hangover friendliness: 3/5

DiPrato’s

A great place to take your parents (or really get your parents to take you) for some delicious dishes, such as the peaches and cream pancakes…just the name of that is cause to salivate. DiPrato’s has a huge menu, so whether you’re in the mood for savory or sweet, you’ll have no problem finding something you like.

Insta-worthiness: 4/5

Hangover friendliness: 5/5

Crepes and Croissants

Craving something savory? Something sweet? Something savory and sweet? This place is just made for you. From Nutella banana crepes, to egg and cheese crepes, this place really has a LOT to offer. Plus they have tons of pastries and other brunch options, like their brie croissant sandwich, to keep everyone satisfied.

Insta-worthiness: 2/5

Hangover friendliness: 2/5  

Cafe Strudel

Banana Foster Pancakes! #cafestrudel #eatlocal #bananafoster #

A post shared by Cafe Strudel (@cafe_strudel) on

With an item like “Hangover Hashbrowns” on their menu, this place can’t disappoint. They also offer some bangin’ southern foods with their own twists, like seafood MAC AND CHEESE. The only question you should be asking is, why aren’t you there right now?

Insta-worthiness: 4/5

Hangover friendliness: 5/5

Kiki’s Chicken and Waffles

The name really says it all. They’re renowned for their specialty waffles or regular waffles with fried chicken, but if chicken and waffles aren’t your thing, they also have pancakes, french toast, grits – the list goes on and on! Sounds (and tastes) like a dream. Besides, is there anything that epitomizes brunch more than chicken and waffles? We think not. 

Insta-worthiness: 5/5

Hangover friendliness: 5/5     

The Gourmet Shop

This place seems like it was made for an Instagram story. The restaurant inside feels like a Parisian cafe and there’s nice outdoor seating as well. The Gourmet Shop is always crazy busy with people – and that’s definitely for good reason! You can’t go wrong with their brunch or lunch menu. Some fan favorites include the tomato soup and chicken salad on a croissant. Oh, and don’t forget to check out their dessert case in the back before you sit down; it changes daily!

Insta-worthiness: 5/5

Hangover friendliness: 3/5

The Original Pancake House

Pancakes, waffles, crepes and omelets galore! This is definitely a step up from IHOP. You know, for the days that you want the food from IHOP but don’t want the icky feeling after, because um, IHOP. Trust us, go here instead. It will fulfill all of your pancake dreams and more.

Insta-worthiness: 4/5

Hangover friendliness: 5/5

Spotted Salamander Catering

Located close to downtown Columbia, this restaurant offers some delicious southern dishes along with some tasty (and boozy) concoctions, like peach sangria. If you’re in the mood for the lunch side of brunch you absolutely cannot go wrong with their burgers either. There’s so much to choose from, you’ll just have to make a second trip…oh well.

Insta-worthiness: 5/5

Hangover friendliness: 4/5

Did your favorite brunch spot make the list? Let us know in the comments!

Sarah Westbrook

South Carolina

Sarah Westbrook is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She majors in Marketing with a minor in PR and Advertising, and hopes to one day open up a cupcake boutique. She loves baking, snuggling with dogs, watching Criminal Minds, and Carolina Game Days!!!
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.