Pictures of the SC Her Camopus president foe our Q&A
Original photo by Mary Grigsby
Life > Experiences

Meet Our Chapter President Mary Grigsby!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Read on below to meet our current chapter president, senior mass communications major Mary Grigsby! We love her and know you will too.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself! Where are you from, what is your year and major, etc.

A: I am originally from Atlanta, GA, but I have lived here in Columbia since middle school. I am entering my last semester at UofSC with a major in mass communications and a minor in hotel, restaurant, and tourism management. I transferred to UofSC in 2019 at the beginning of my sophomore year from the College of Charleston. Besides my involvement in HerCampus, I’m a member of CHAARG (a women’s fitness organization) and I work at a local animal shelter. Most importantly, I have a three-year-old pitbull mix named Stella :)

Q: Why did you decide to join Her Campus?

A: I joined Her Campus my freshman year at the College of Charleston because I wanted to meet more people and get some writing experience. When I transferred to UofSC, I wanted to continue my great experience and meet more like-minded people!

Q: What has been your favorite thing about being a part of HC?

A: My favorite part has been all of the different opportunities that have been presented to me. I have been able to publish articles, gain networking opportunities, and work with different brands, such as Garnier. 

Q: What are you most excited about this school year?

A: Personally, I am nervous yet excited to graduate in December since my time at UofSC is coming to an end, but I am also excited for what the future has in store for me! Regarding Her Campus, I am very excited to host in-person events since we couldn’t do any last year. It’s going to be so nice to see everyone again!

Q: What are your plans after graduation and how has Her Campus prepared you for that future?

A: I plan on applying to some public relations jobs in the Columbia area and remotely. Her Campus has prepared me for internships as I am able to gain a lot of valuable experience, which has allowed me to easily transition to a full-time job. I am currently interning with HerCampus nationals working in the campus community department, which is involved in social media and launching new chapters at different colleges. 

Q: If you had to explain to someone why they should join Her Campus, what would you say?

A: You should join Her Campus to meet like-minded women and learn valuable skills through brand partnership and networking. You also have the opportunity to gain experience in social media, marketing, writing, and more, which can help you get started in your career!

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?

A: I would choose the ability to fly because I would never be stuck in traffic or have to worry about finding a parking spot!

If you’re a student and would like to learn more about joining HC, click the “join us” tab on our website or check us out on garnet gate!

Emily Baniewicz

South Carolina '22

Hey y'all! I am a junior at the University of South Carolina studying Public Health a with minor in Spanish. I am pre-med and one day hope to be a sports neurologist. In my free time, I love watching football and soccer, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!