Marco Rubio Drops Out of the Presidential Race

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Marco Rubio is suspending his campaign after losing Florida to Donald Trump in the March 15 primary.

Rubio was expected to trail Trump in the pre-primary polls, but the Florida senator was confident he could prove the projection wrong and win his home state.

@MarcoRubio on Twitter.

Unfortunately for Rubio, this wasn’t the case. Trump received 46 percent of the Florida delegates while Rubio fell behind with only 27 percent. Rubio announced he was suspending his campaign after it was confirmed that he lost.

“While it is not god’s plan that I be president in 2016 or maybe ever, and while today my campaign is suspended, the fact that I’ve even come this far is evidence of how special America truly is,” Rubio said tonight.

The Republican Party has now dwindled to three candidates. Unlike Rubio, Governor John Kasich won his home state of Ohio, which is enough to keep his campaign alive. Donald Trump is expected to take rest of the states, being trailed by his biggest competition, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. 

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!